Is anybody here an optometry student from South Carolina?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bob_Barker27 said:
Which school are you at?

I am not in Optometry school, but I have considered it in the past. Southern College of Optometry and UAB both offer in-state contracts for a limited number of SC applicants. Since they don't have many SC applicants, chances are pretty good at getting them. I would look at both, but after I visited both, Southern in Memphis I believe is best for student services and getting you a job when all is said and done. I came close to going but I really fell in love with dentistry. Call the schools. They are both friendly and informative.
 
I finished up my pre-pharmacy courses at USC this summer, and I am working right now. I got my undergrad degree in mechanical engineering from Clemson, but the job market for engineering is so up and down and it's hard to find work in the town you want to live in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Whoops, I thought you were asking what school I was at, but that was actually my post. Maybe I need to see an optometrist. Anyway, I visited UAB's optometry school a few years ago. It seemed pretty cool. One of my holdups about doing optometry school is I don't know if I want to dissect a human body. I know UAB students do that, I heard SCO just uses pre-dissected bodies for the labs. I'm not sure if I really see a point for optometry students to dissect anything other than the eyeball and maybe the brain and facial nerves. Are you at dentistry school at MUSC? My orthodontist was trying to encourage me to go to dentistry school, he said they were making higher than many physicians now. I'm not sure if have the manual dexterity to be a dentist , or the patience. Thanks for the advice.
 
with the expanding scope of optometric practice and writing presciptions for systemic medications.. it's fundamentally important to understand how all the body's sytems work together.UHCO uses dissections that are done by the gross anatomy prof himself. It's really not as horrific as everyone thinks. I also think in order to be called a doctor, gross anatomy is a right of passage.