Is anyone an alternate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out via email that I am an alternate at a Counseling PhD program. In this email, they have asked me to answer a few more questions about some of my practical experience.

So, in my response, I want to ask about a time frame for making decisions, etc. Are there any other folks who are alternates and have been in contact with those schools? What sorts of questions have you asked them and what has their response been like?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an alternate at Temple, and they are waiting for someone else to decline the offer before they accept me. They actually didn't have to answer anymore questions...if I did, I would feel like I may have a better chance! If you are curious about the timeline by which they would notify you, I would just ask when they expect to be able to notify you as to the status fo your application. They know that we are all biting our nails in anticipation, but I would guess even so, they will tell you that they can't make any new decisions until the people who currently were offered admission accept or decline.

SaraL124 said:
I'm an alternate at Temple, and they are waiting for someone else to decline the offer before they accept me. They actually didn't have to answer anymore questions...if I did, I would feel like I may have a better chance! If you are curious about the timeline by which they would notify you, I would just ask when they expect to be able to notify you as to the status fo your application. They know that we are all biting our nails in anticipation, but I would guess even so, they will tell you that they can't make any new decisions until the people who currently were offered admission accept or decline.
I am an alternate at James Madison University. The professor wrote me an email indicating that they needed to hear from the people who they gave offers to before they could make any further decisions. He also told me that they would have a much better idea of what their situation was by March 21 and that I should expect to hear from them by the end of March. But because you APA guidlines say you don't have to commit until April 15 I am really not expecting to hear anything until later.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here, great site by the way. I'm also an alternate for a PsyD program at Baylor. I was told that they had to wait until someone rejects. :(