Is anyone buying a tablet for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openstage

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every school has a recommended technology list with computer specs. Is anyone also buying a tablet for note taking and other touch screen apps?

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of my friends have them and love them. I personally prefer taking notes on paper, and use crayons for color coding, plus i didnt have money for it. But if you like that, it might be handy. I WILL get one for year 3-4 though, i heard that they are great for clinical rotations. Planning to get ipad mini because it fits into coat pocket from what i understand.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an ipad air with the smart keyboard, apple pencil, and paperlike screen protector. I definitely love it. There are many videos on youtube giving you the pros and cons of laptops vs tablets, many by med students. Apple should be running their back to school deals right now too

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an ipad air with the smart keyboard, apple pencil, and paperlike screen protector. I definitely love it. There are many videos on youtube giving you the pros and cons of laptops vs tablets, many by med students. Apple should be running their back to school deals right now too
wait WHAT???? apple has back to school deals??????

Apple running big sale on 7th Generation ipad 10.1inch currently on Amazon. $279 for 32GB. Add Cloud storage and you have a great deal.

• Wow
This years deal is free AirPods with a purchase of an iPad/MacBook etc (way better than beats), some discounts on the iPads, mostly for the pros, and 20% off all accessories although they don’t show the previous price, but it is already applied. Microsoft has deals as well but apple has the most consistent performance for their products.

I picked up the 7th gen iPad (32gb) two weeks ago at Best Buy for $250. Still waiting for my paperlike, already had Apple Pencil.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I got a 2020 12.9 inch Pro (128GB), Apple Pencil, and then an iCarez matte screen protector from Amazon; love it so far and def will be my main tool for notes when classes start up in a few weeks. Definitely take advantage of the Apple deal for AirPods if you can!

I can't comment on keyboard cases for other models, but for the Pro I'd steer clear of the Logitech Slim Folio; I got it originally and it was wayyyyy too bulky, heavy, and awkward to hold and use (especially if you're just trying to hold the iPad "normally"). Much easier to pick up one of those magnetic covers from Apple or Amazon and pair with a wireless keyboard when you need.

I'm seeing a lot of people on here getting matte screen protectors. I thought that they ruin the beauty of the display - is the "paperlike" effect still worth it despite this?

I'm seeing a lot of people on here getting matte screen protectors. I thought that they ruin the beauty of the display - is the "paperlike" effect still worth it despite this?

They do, which is the only downside really, but I guess you get used to it/it becomes personal preference. It is nice from a writing perspective because your hand doesn’t stick to the glossy screen when you’re writing across the screen + the pen doesn’t “slip” when you’re writing. Also, it becomes easier to clean off smudges on the matte display over the glossy screen, and those smudges aren’t as noticeable in my opinion.

I guess it depends on how much you use the iPad for other content like video consumption or photo/video editing where the display matters, but I guess the good part about grabbing one from Amazon (where it comes in a two pack for like $9) is that you can try it out and if it’s not what you like you can easily just rip it off but still have another for if you change your mind.

I'm very much in the paper notes camp, but after some preliminary tests with my iPad 7th + paper-like screen and Apple Pencil, I think its a pretty good substitute. I considered the Pro and 2nd gen pencil, but for more than double the price, I don't think it's worth it for extra power that I won't use.

Also, the iPad will be extra to your laptop/desktop since you'll likely need something that runs full versions of Windows/iOS macOS

Last edited:
  • Wow
Been going back and forth on this.
I'm holding off on a tablet for now for a few reasons:
Apple seems to be the best but I've never used iOS, (find them boring) so that'll be an adjustment especially with having to sync with my PC and android (do I even have to?) - Seems hardly worth it anyway.
BUT...
My school gives macbooks so I will have an apple product in my life that I will have to get used to so. Thinking if I have a macbook and my current laptop, an iPad would be redundant.

Waiting to see how 1st semester goes.

Apple seems to be the best but I've never used iOS, (find them boring) so that'll be an adjustment especially with having to sync with my PC and android (do I even have to?) - Seems hardly worth it anyway.
BUT...
My school gives macbooks so I will have an apple product in my life that I will have to get used to so. Thinking if I have a macbook and my current laptop, an iPad would be redundant.

What would you be syncing? For documents you can use onedrive or google drive, for contacts you can add them yourself if you want or not sync them at all. Email syncs itself and might do your contacts too.

ThetisAntithesis said:
BUT...

Apple products in general do not take much "getting used to." My first computer was an iBook so I may be biased but I feel like anything made by Apple is very intuitive. YMMV

My vote is for the Surface Book 3. Fully decked out it still comes out less than getting a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro.
Plus, OneDrive is the subscription to get over iCloud or Google One and your school may provide it to you.

I have issues focusing on computer screens and they give me headaches, so I almost got the Remarkable 2 (e-ink tablet). I ended up cancelling my pre-order bc I think my med school is supplying iPads, but someone in my old lab had the first model and I really, really loved the screen and the way it wrote.

As for laptops, the fully spec'ed out 2013 Macbook Pro I got for undergrad is still in practically perfect condition. I only really had to replace the battery once when it swelled, but it was under warranty so that was free. I'd rather buy nice than buy twice.