Best Laptop and Tablet for Med School 2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueLion

Reaction score
My school has a basic laptop requirement of having an i5 or newer core processor with at least 8gb of memory and 128gb of storage. Therefore I have a lot of freedom in regards to laptop selection. I will most likely be getting a Mac Air with an i5, 8gb ram and 256 gb storage as well as the new Ipad 32gb for tasteful notetaking and an apple pencil for extra elitist style points. Both laptop and Ipad will be Space Grey.

What laptops and/or tablets are you bringing for school this upcoming semester? Any other recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

My requirements are the same almost, but I am considering the MacBook Pro with 16gb of Ram, and a few upgrades to the SSD.
If I were to get the 13 inch model with the price of upgrades I'd be paying almost the same as the 16 inch model that already has them, but for the 16in I get a better chip and graphics card. So, in essence I am now looking at some online jobs because I'll be dropping $2K on a computer:vomit:

We're "given" a laptop but many students suggested buying an iPad pro to go with it so I'm going to get an 11" 256 gb one of those. I'm bringing my MacBook Pro with me because I'm familiar with it as well haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Just bought a new Dell XPS 15 and love it. I went back and forth for weeks between continuing my "2-in-1" trend where I could draw on (had a Surface Pro throughout college) or switching to a more traditional laptop with better specs. At the end of the day, I realized I virtually never drew anything using my surface pen and I took notes a lot quicker when I just typed and copied/pasted images on to OneNote so I went with the XPS.

Unless you were a dedicated tablet user in undergrad, tablets are pretty useless in med school. I would a light laptop with good battery life and a decently large screen, and have the ability to dual-screen at home.

We were obligated to buy an ipad as well and I hardly ever used it. The people who did use tablets to take notes (drawing, annotating with handwriting, etc) generally used surfaces. I used mine a bit for portable anki, but honestly you can just use your phone for that. And also reading PDFs at night in bed but I would just use the laptop for that as well.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Unless you were a dedicated tablet user in undergrad, tablets are pretty useless in med school. I would a light laptop with good battery life and a decently large screen, and have the ability to dual-screen at home.

We were obligated to buy an ipad as well and I hardly ever used it. The people who did use tablets to take notes (drawing, annotating with handwriting, etc) generally used surfaces. I used mine a bit for portable anki, but honestly you can just use your phone for that. And also reading PDFs at night in bed but I would just use the laptop for that as well.

I've always been a paper and pen kind of guy but decided to try going paperless in med school to avoid cluttered binders and loose leaf all over the place. I'm thinking the laptop would be for watching lectures and downloading software while the tablet would strictly be for anki and notability.