Is anyone else starting to feel REALLY stressed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty ok when i'm taking a practice test, or doing something where i can lock myself up and force myself to study. But when i am doing my regular school work or somthing else i get anxiety that i should be studying for the MCAT. :scared: And then it gets me so anxious that i can't study and i come here and get even more stressed, but yet i can't stop myself. Anyone else feel this way or am i going nuts sooner than the rest of you? :eek:

Keep in mind that i haven't even STARTED my apps and if i think of that it will totally throw me over the edge. :scared: Therefore i have sooo much riding on this test.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a practice test in October and did quite poorly, yet I didn't feel I could start studying for the MCAT until after that semester. The anxiety really got to me, I didn't sleep properly until after I took the MCAT in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
so sleep will happen again?? :sleep:

but then i need to start apps .....

well i never really slept since i started college so why should i start now? :oops:

Yes, yes I am. I seriously dislike this thing they call the MCAT. I feel like I'm physics-dyslexic, switching all the characters around in my brain so they don't make sense at all. :(

psycho, you need to chill out.

You are spending all your time on this board posting threads. Take a chill pill. Relax. I would take your own advice and stay away from this board unless you have a real question, not whether multiple people are going to be aloud to use the bathroom, or what stimulant you need in case of a break down, or asking people how stressed they are.

None of the answers to those questions are going to increase your score. Chill out and stop stressing out. It is just a test, not the end of the world. Get confident and rock it. In the mean time, stop filling this board up. You have racked up almost 400 posts in less than a month.

i have a question...are kaplan tests much harder than the real MCAT..because im takin the kaplan verbal test 7..and it is VERY VERY hard. anyone else agree????

drguy22 said:
i have a question...are kaplan tests much harder than the real MCAT..because im takin the kaplan verbal test 7..and it is VERY VERY hard. anyone else agree????
Yes.

That's it.

Hey Psycho Doc,

I feel the same way when I'm not studying. Everything feels like a waste of time, even sleep. The worst thing that can happen on the test is anxiety and stress. I think that the mental/health mode you're in on the test day is more important than how much you studied (from experience). Yet I can't force myself not to worry. Now I'm worried that I wasted too much time posting this useless response. :eek:

Yeah, I'm feeling stressed out....even more now that I only got 4 hours of studying done tomorrow...had to visit my doctor and get some meds, cuz I am now sick :(
Today I'll probably do less than that..because it's already 6:30 and I haven't even started...
Aaaaand tomorrow I have a job interview at 3 pm (right after work in the morning). So there goes my day! I had planned to take 5R tomorrow...but I will do is just review more and take in on thursday, at least I'll feel better prepared...see how it goes...

It's just that your life doesn't stop just because you have this test. I could stay at home...but there's 5 extra people here visiting so it's impossible...

I dunno..I'm gonna try and relax..go to B&N and stay there until they close at 11pm....then come home and prepare my presentation for my interview tomorrow.

Just try and relax...leave it all to fate, God, or whatever you believe in. Do what you know you need to do...and you'll be fine...

Karina

I'm feeling stressed. I just took 5r and scored a 27 :( Anyone else know if I'm likely to break 30 from now till exam time? I'm short by like 3 questions on phys, and 2 questions on verbal + bio. Ack I just want it to be over!

Members don't see this ad :)
[
JDAD said:
You have racked up almost 400 posts in less than a month.

you checked out my # of posts??? :( I feel so violated.

JDAD said:
psycho, you need to chill out.

You are spending all your time on this board posting threads. Take a chill pill. Relax. I would take your own advice and stay away from this board unless you have a real question, not whether multiple people are going to be aloud to use the bathroom, or what stimulant you need in case of a break down, or asking people how stressed they are.

None of the answers to those questions are going to increase your score. Chill out and stop stressing out. It is just a test, not the end of the world..

that's the way i handle stress...sorry :( and this test is a do or die for me....i haven't even started my apps so everything is riding on this right now. and i can chill more if i know exactly what i'm going into and how i compare with others.

UseUrHeadFred said:
Ask Cerberus about getting stressed out.

OK, Cerberus, tell me about being stressed out! And honestly i really doubt i'm any more stressed than anyone else...maybe i'm just more open and honest. :oops:

My god! Psycho Doctor. If this is they way you handle your stress, I sure as don't want you as my doctor in a life or death situation. This isn't the last time your going to be in a make it or break it situation in your journey towards becoming a doctor. :mad:

hey now you chill. :smuggrin:

my way of handling stress is thru entertainment on this board...what is so wrong with that??? i'n not slashing my wrists or overdosing on pills or attacking my dog or anyone who comes in my path...so what are you all attacking me for? :(

is no one really stressed? from what people have responded here, i'd have to disagree. is no one else asking questions about the MCAT on this board? isn't that what's it there for? the more information you have about it the more relaxed you can be on test day. you people who took the test altready mus thave forgotten how you felt the weeks leading up to it...please have a little understanding :oops:

Psycho, what makes you think this isn't do or die for everyone else taking the test. We are all in the same situation. (Except me, if I do poorly, I will be shipped out of the country because I am a non-resident alien on a temporary visa that depends on me staying in school :)) But serioulsy, relax, you are going to die early if you keep freaking out like this. Medschool and residency are WAAAAAY more stressful than this. Keep your head up and just do the best you can, you situation isn't any different than most of us. We all need to do well on this test.

ok first of all i am NOT freaking out. i don't think i am feeling any more stressed than anyone else. :eek:

my do or die was because (as I said) i haven't done my apps yet and i know it really hurts to apply last minute so i need great stats if i expect to be accepted anywhere

and yes i think you have a real lot riding on it if you expect to be shipped out as an alien :idea:

and i guess you'll all find this hard to believe, but i actually work quite well under stress....now i guess i just have to prove it to you :p

Psycho Doctor said:
Therefore i have sooo much riding on this test.

Exactly why you should be stressed. People get stressed out over traffic or their favorite team losing. This test on the other hand really matters. But stress isn't bad to a point because it will motivate you to study appropriately and not blow it off.

If you're finding that it's too much that's bad because it will impact your performance. Take a step back and realize that this whole process is a marathon not a sprint. One poor MCAT score will not prevent you from being a doc (three might, but not one).

Regarding applications, just be cool. There are tons (probabably the majority) of people applying after the August MCAT. So we're still only in the 3rd inning of a 9 inning game.

RaistlinMajere said:
Exactly why you should be stressed. People get stressed out over traffic or their favorite team losing. This test on the other hand really matters. But stress isn't bad to a point because it will motivate you to study appropriately and not blow it off.

Thank you for understanding....

And my apologies if i really act overly stressed..i don't think i'm an more stressed than anyone else here, maybe i just verbalize it more and wear my heart (and my insecurities) on my sleeve...

RaistlinMajere said:
If you're finding that it's too much that's bad because it will impact your performance. Take a step back and realize that this whole process is a marathon not a sprint. One poor MCAT score will not prevent you from being a doc (three might, but not one).

about the bad MCAT score, i've read that some schools do evaluate all scores, some average them, some just count the highest and some just count the last...so i really was hoping for one good score and that be the end of it...but i guess only God knows....

RaistlinMajere said:
Regarding applications, just be cool. There are tons (probabably the majority) of people applying after the August MCAT. So we're still only in the 3rd inning of a 9 inning game.

thanks, that makes me feel infinitely better. I think it's the overall stress of it all getting to me, not just the MCAT...i'm also taking orgo this summer and my final is 4 days before the MCAT, and i'm dealing with some personal issues too. :(

cozmokrmr said:
So stop procrastinating and do the darn apps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whereas i will confirm tha ti am the world's worst procrastinator i really do have a lot going on right now. I have to get thru my summer orgo courses and the MCAT before i can possibly spend additional time writing up apps. i need to concentrate on one thing at a time and do it well, then i'll worry about the next thing :scared: i don't want to do a half-a$$ed job on anything

ok so i'm worrying a little bit now in anticipation of what's next, but well, you know....