Is anyone get in with a "W" in your transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lymmys

It wasn't me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please help!!!
Is there anyone who got in pharm school with a W in their transcript? How badly does it affect your future application to pharm school?

This would be my first and hopefully last ....

What makes you think a W would hurt your application? For all they know you had a scheduling problem so you had to withdraw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help!!!
Is there anyone who got in pharm school with a W in their transcript? How badly does it affect your future application to pharm school?

Yes, I had several (close to a years worth) and I have been accepted, I'm not proud of it but I had one really bad year. I then took some time, re-evaluated my goals, retook some classes and applied. I interviewed at 3 could have been 4 schools, I've been accepted to one so far and am still waiting to hear from the other 2.
I feel like I made up for the bad year, by retaking classes, having a degree, and other good extracurriculars. Remember different aspects are important to different schools, some look more at GPA's some look more at e.c's, etc. A lot of schools do look at the overall picture and you do have your personal statement to help explain any questionable areas. Good luck and there still is hope. Theses forums are full of posts from individuals that applied many times and that overcame obstacles trying to achieve their goals, and finally succeeded.

The title of this thread hurts my head.

I had one. From my understanding a couple won't hurt. But if they see a trend, then it might raise a red flag. But you could explain your situation in the personal statement on why you had to get those W's.

I got a W in Immunology.

I got into my schools. I even got into the school that required Immunology, they said just take it in the summer.

I'm sure they can look at your transcript and figure out why.

The title of this thread hurts my head.

+100

For some strange reason, the bad grammar made me more interested in what the OP had to say. I was disappointed.

It's probably just me, but I have too much pride to drop or withdraw from a class, even if I'm not doing well.

I had one, it doesn't matter as long as your gpa is still good and you can show that you can handle a heavy courseload.

Please help!!!

Yes, I is get in with a W in my transcript. I had 3 W's over 127 credits.. but none in any major science courses.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter that you have a W, IMO, it's what that W is in that matters the most.

A W in General Chemistry when you're carrying only a couple other science classes looks bad, whereas a W in Speech might not look so bad (Or Psychology, or what have you).

but, all in all, one or two Ws (Or 7, lol!) won't doom you too much.

I personally have 2 Ws - One in American History and one in Philosophy of Law.

Last edited:
I have one W in Calculus II from 3 years ago and another in Organic Chemistry II from two years ago. I know I'm gonna retake those courses, so that's not a problem.

However, in the fall of 2008 I was forced to withdraw from the university altogether (which was five W's).

My university doesn't allow this unless there's extreme documented circumstances beyond the student's control, and requires signatures from the chairs of each department and the professors of those classes. I met all the requirements to withdraw.

So 7 total withdraws. Is that worth bringing up in my personal statement?

6 C/C+'s in bio1/2, bio lab, orgo1, calc 1, food science

3 W's - bio 2, orgo 2, chm 2

And I got into UF...

Don't worry about W's too much... just do your best to show an upward trend, and make every other aspect of your application sound. Don't forget, acceptance isn't based solely on grades and PCAT.

Please help!!!

I hope it doesn't hurt too much. I failed the first semester of my history class this year and got a D in the first semester of my honors bio class last year(I made them both up with A's though). I'm worried about that when it comes to applying to 0-6 schools. Atleast yours has a W in front of it. That can be much more explainable. And just make sure to have an overall good GPA, EC's etc etc. Good luck. :)

I had 3 quarters full of complete withdrawals...too many to count. I was an idiot back then and didn't realize how much it would affect me. However, I managed to maintain above a 3.7 for the past 6 years so it shows how much I've improved. I received 5 interviews this year and a couple of the interviewers asked me about the W's. Just be ready to explain why you received W's and all bad grades as well. Be honest about it and show how much you've progressed. Don't lie because they can read through
you. I'm glad I was honest. It made me feel better, yet it showed them that I can admit to my mistakes and change from it. Good luck!!