Is becoming a doctor really making something of your life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if you don't leave a legacy that the masses will remember you by, you had a worthless life? Living your life by what others think or will think of you is a pretty shallow and miserable way to spend 75 years. Even the most profound, world changing events are soon forgotten. Transience is part of the human memory. We who lived through 9/11 probably said something like "we'll never forget, this was important, we must remember" Our children might find this day meaningful as well, but you can bet our grandchildren won't feel the same emotion for it that we do. For example how many million people died in WWI and their sacrifice is all but forgotten? Survivors of that conflict said "lest we forget", the war should always be remembered. Yet we changed the name of the day that remembers the end of WWI from armistice day to veterans day, diluting the effort to preserve WWI as a distinct, memorable event. What I'm saying is that eventually even the most powerful and influential events will be lost to dusty memories enshrined by a few historians and perused only by the curious, but not the masses.

If you do decide that medicine is the route you want to pursue, and you wind up saving someone's life, I imagine your contribution will be pretty important to that one person. You might find pediatrics gratifiying because would be able to influence the lifelong health habits of several hundred (thousand even) people.

If you feel college is stagnation, you're right. It's a time in your life when you're completely self-focussed. What do I want? What do I do with my time? How do I spent my money? Being so self absorbed does not lead to longtime happiness. That comes from a certain degree of selflessness. For me, I find that in my family. Putting the needs of my wife and child first brings happiness. You may not believe me because you've never been in my shoes, but trust me, being selfless leads to greater happiness than looking out for number one all the time. OP, it's time to do a little growing up.
Why don't you volunteer at a VA or homeless shelter? you wont make world chaning policy decisions at 20 something, so why not change the little corner of the world you live in? you might discover that life can be meaningful without being President.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Eventualy no one will remember Abraham Lincoln. Eventually the United States will be forgotten. Eventually our modest little sun will explode, our oceans will boil away, and our earth will be a lifeless bit of ash. So probably the OP's dreams of immortality are a little silly. There won't be anyone left to remember him or his sperm.

Obviously becoming a doctor and helping people is one of the best things anyone could end up doing. It's just that sometimes I wonder if becoming a doctor is really doing everything I can with my life. My ultimate fear is laying down to die without having done something world-changing, amazing, incredible. I want to alter world events in some way.

Anyone else have this same fear and desire? Thoughts? Is there something you think you could do outside of medicine to accomplish a life goal such as this?

Um, Hitler altered world events drastically. You could become a Nazi. Or maybe follow the Uni-bomber's lead and blow up a building. I'm sure similar thoughts were coursing through the heads of such people when they did the things they did. But seriously, if you are not neurotic, just do what you love and forget about legacy. You are probably not going to become Luke Skywalker, although you have probably watched that movie too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, Hitler altered world events drastically. You could become a Nazi. Or maybe follow the Uni-bomber's lead and blow up a building. I'm sure similar thoughts were coursing through the heads of such people when they did the things they did. But seriously, if you are not neurotic, just do what you love and forget about legacy. You are probably not going to become Luke Skywalker, although you have probably watched that movie too much.

YESSSS! Godwin's law!!!!

YESSSS! Godwin's law!!!!

Sorry, it's just the first example of a nefarious neurotic that changed world events that I could think of. Besides, this thread probably deserves to degrade into a Hitler debate.

One day, if you are still on SDN, you will look back at this thread and cringe for shame that you were ever such a pompous ass. I assure you that the things you believe to be problems, your goals, your motivations, and your expectations will change so radically in the next twenty years that you won't recognize yourself.

:thumbup:

No one who "changed the world" sat around wondering how they could do it. They had very strong feelings on important issues that happened to resonate with many people. Sitting here wondering the best way to "change the world" is patently ridiculous. What are you going to do, make a list of ways to change the world and adopt the one that seems most likely to succeed?

Your feelings are completely natural for anyone raised in the Me generation, still insulated by college and gift packs from Mom. In fact, your club is not so exclusive. In a few years you will understand that life is not a TV drama that stars you, that the impetus for "change" comes from hardship, not the life of leisure, stability, and privilege that you most likely lead, and that the sense of importance you crave can be had from much more mundane sources at much less effort, and certainly without rocking the boat.

No. I don't want to be another Mother Theresa (as amazing a person she was). I don't even know if it's helping people that I want to do. I really just try and work hard at everything I do so I can keep all of my doors open, so to speak. Still, it's hard to stay motivated as a premed when I'm not completely sure what I want to do with my life.

So you want to change the world and leave a legacy without helping people? You could unleash a leathal pathogen. That seems like it would be in line with what you're going for.

isn't improving the quality of life of the hundreds to thousands of patients you'll see enough?

You know, this kid seems entirely in earnest and I'm not sure whether it makes me more or less sympathetic to his position.

Obviously becoming a doctor and helping people is one of the best things anyone could end up doing. It's just that sometimes I wonder if becoming a doctor is really doing everything I can with my life. My ultimate fear is laying down to die without having done something world-changing, amazing, incredible. I want to alter world events in some way.

Anyone else have this same fear and desire? Thoughts? Is there something you think you could do outside of medicine to accomplish a life goal such as this?

lol. :laugh: good luck with that!

What the hell point is there in leaving a legacy? You'll be earth and dust all the same. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, though, and it most likely won't, you shouldn't feel like you wasted your life.

I suggest you stop worrying about what happens after you're gone and start worrying about leading a happy life.

You're having a really difficult time conveying what you're trying to say. But just for some perspective, you're coming off as a total prick. I'm sorry, you probably mean well, but I think probably most people would agree with me here.

Also, you seem to have absolutely no clue about the audience to whom you're addressing yourself.

Further, you seem to be working within some very bizarre paradigms if I do say so myself.

To whit:
(1) The existence or non-existence of God does not in and of itself make your life meaningful or meaningless except insofar as you believe it does. (Read: existentialism is great, but get over yourself). Do you not REALIZE that we're all constantly in search of finding ways that we can create meaningful and satisfying careers? (I mean, most people with a brain, anyway).

(2) OBVIOUSLY there are other, equally important ways to contribute to society than be a doctor. I mean, what planet do you LIVE on? Have you been hypnotized by a physician cult?

(3) Addressing yourself to a pre-med crowd with the statement: re: a career as a doctor "Is that all? Is that really the best you can do?" is just about as insulting as it gets.

That's all. Consider it.
:laugh::thumbup:

One day, if you are still on SDN, you will look back at this thread and cringe for shame that you were ever such a pompous ass. I assure you that the things you believe to be problems, your goals, your motivations, and your expectations will change so radically in the next twenty years that you won't recognoze yourself.

I know, but we're talking now, and I can't stand just sitting here not knowing exactly what I want in life, but still preparing for practically another decade of schooling.

All you will care about in ten years is the money.

Gosh, I hope not.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I'm saying is that eventually even the most powerful and influential events will be lost to dusty memories enshrined by a few historians and perused only by the curious, but not the masses.

I disagree. We learn about the ancient Sumerians of Mesopotamia. We learn about the Roman Empire. I don't doubt that we will forget about wars like Gettysburg or Waterloo, but we certainly won't forget about entire nations, people, discoveries, etc.

P.S. I may have misquoted you, and it was possibly someone else who said that America would be forgotten.

Why don't you volunteer at a VA or homeless shelter? you wont make world chaning policy decisions at 20 something, so why not change the little corner of the world you live in? you might discover that life can be meaningful without being President.

I understand that I won't be making gigantic decisions at 20, and that is why I do volunteer in my community, teaching English at the local library and volunteering at the hospital.

I do understand what you are saying, though, and I agree. Still, I wouldn't lose faith in mankind. Although our time on this world is limited, do you really think that all that once existed on Earth will destroyed with it? I doubt that.

You know, this kid seems entirely in earnest and I'm not sure whether it makes me more or less sympathetic to his position.

But, honestly, I'd be willing to say that most of us think about this stuff. I'm not the only one, but I do admit I probably sound like an idiot bringing it up. Still, I think I can gain something from this discussion.

But, honestly, I'd be willing to say that most of us think about this stuff. I'm not the only one, but I do admit I probably sound like an idiot bringing it up. Still, I think I can gain something from this discussion.

Thinking about your "legacy" is both admirable and remarkably self-centered. If you have such lofty aspirations then medicine could be a poor career choice. The halls of hospitals are littered with the discarded dreams of changing the world. I felt alot like you did as a pre-med, really wanting to be a big deal for reasons that were both selfless and selfish. What you find in medicine is that there is so much knowledge to acquire that the acquisition of that knowledge will usually become priority #1.

I personally enjoy medicine very much, even with all the BS, but when you're actually doing it most of us get into a groove that is focused more on things like not screwing up, being efficient, trying to be a good part of the team, and working quickly rather than high-minded ideals.

I think it's very revealing when you meet a doctor who is really committed to working with the poor (in the US or abroad). I'm not talking about the resident who wants to do an "international rotation" where half of their time is spent either drinking, backpacking, or taking pics with their digital -- but the real deal, think Paul Farmer. In my experience 9/10 of them are fairly brusque people, often bordering on being cold. Why? Because they work their aces off and have an infinite amount of work ahead of them.

Thinking about your "legacy" is both admirable and remarkably self-centered. If you have such lofty aspirations then medicine could be a poor career choice. The halls of hospitals are littered with the discarded dreams of changing the world.

I thought this was going to turn into an instance of Burnett's Law. :laugh:

Yea. It's called a mess...

But at least you get to have some fun, as well as get to know that your life will not be uninteresting. :D

I want to alter world events in some way.

Just remember what your father told you on your wedding night...

homer.jpg

The best way to have a major impact is to have a universal impact. Doctors do have important jobs, but the most complex, generation reaching consequences are made by physicists. While doctors do important work by helping patients on a daily basis, let's not be in denial that compared to the mysteries of the origin of the universe and what lies within a singularity, a doctor's solution to one patient's diarrhea pales in comparison. The impact of understanding quantum particles is far greater than removing someone's appendix. The impact of uncovering the intricate mysteries of how the brain works is more far reaching than saving someone's life by operating on his brain. This is why the most helpful doctors are not the ones who love to see patients every day and claim that they went into medicine to help these people, but the ones who spend most of their time thinking and imagining. For some of you this may be taboo, but next time you claim that you went into medicine because you want to save the patients by direct contact, think about this. The best scientists do their work not because they love to help people, but because they are genuinely interested in the given subject.

We probably know more about Mars than how the most interesting organ, the brain, functions. I took a great course in Neural Science by Kandel that med school students take. After that damn course, I know even less about the brain. So the opportunities to change the world are many. The question is: can this generation really do it? Some question this due to decreased productivity because of wasteful activities like games, TV, and internet. You think we'd know who Newton is if he had internet access in his basement? Too many distractions these days and I think we may just be approaching a plateau. Technological advances are too petty in the scheme of things to compare to the breakthroughs done in the past.

Well said. I'll have to think on this for a bit.

Remember, OP, that a M.D. is one of only three degrees that people put on their tombstone (the other being PhD (and its derivatives: ThD, Ed.D,etc.) and M.Div.). Merely being a doctor causes individuals to treat you with some degree of reverence. It's not really about whether millions of people admire your greatness and accomplishments, its about doing something that makes you happy and improves the world, if only a little bit. If you go into it with the mindset that you are a failure if you don't start a grand social movement, you are destined to be unhappy.

That's exactly what it is. I feel desperate, and, as young as I am, I still feel like I'm in a race against the clock.

I think college does this to us sometimes especially as an undergrad where you are able to watch so many people around you really begin to establish thier life and do great things; and here you are turing your wheels going to class and knowing that there is a lot more of that to come. But the truth of the matter is becoming a physician can allow you to great things and not only that but great things that very few other people will ever be able to do...
First off you need to figure out what great things actually means to you..... For some it maybe running a country but for others it may mean running a small makeshift clinic in Africa where you are able to save countless lives. I don't believe being a physcian is the end all be all for everyone. Many people do not see it as exciting or glamerous (and often times it isn't) but for others it is a chance to make a difference in the lives of those around you daily.

Try to become a person similar to Jo Pa at Penn St. That guy has coached for over 4 decades at the same university. He has touched many lifes, given people a chance to better their life, basically funded half of the university himself (donated money to build a library and so forth).

Do something similar to the head coach at USC (football team). He takes homeless people in the poverty area of Los Angeles and helps people get a job and sustain a job.

Become a criminial defense lawyer. We always here stories about a person being in prison for 15 to 30 years that didn't commit the crime.

Try to become a state govenor, mayor, and other similar type of goverment jobs.

Become a doctor and move to a poverty area (central Africa) and pratice medicine for free.....but you can't do that unless you are rich...sorry.

You can become a doctor, but if you really want to affect a wide range of lifes, then go to the most rural and poverty areas of our country and try to help improve the lifes of the people that live in these areas.

I wanted to add more to this thread. There are people who chose to do nothing more then work, go to the local bar, go home and sleep (and maybe have a child,two, or three). That is basically how most people of this world function. There is nothing wrong with living like this. Most people don't have enough money to do anything except this.

Then there are people like Donald Trump. This guy has a house that is worth something in the area of 160 million dollars (or in the 140 million range...can't remember the exact amount anymore). Basically what Mr. Trump does is give people jobs. That is the bottom line. When this guy passes away, 200 years later people won't care who Mr. Trump was.

Then there are people like our president (current president). He took our country to war against the will of the country. I'm not here to say that the war was the right thing or not, but in due time people won't care about this choice. How much of an impact is this war really going to have on the Middle East? Please, nobody answer this question as none of us will know for decades.

Then there are people who are homeless and don't want to work. Yes, you read that right. There are people who don't want to work and want to be homeless. If you try to help these people, they will reject you just like all of the free goverment offers.

If you really think about, all of the people who have made the biggest impact on this world have power and money. If you have neither, you really can't do anything to help improve our world. A scientist has power, remind you. A doctor has power as well.

Honestly, to have any impact, you need to go out and preech what you believe in. If you believe in a certain issue, then you go out and fight for it.

If you want to impact people and don't have money or power, be an author. Harry Potter anyone?

Books are a good way to get your message out to a lot of people. They also are much more treasured than web-based crap like blogs.[/quote]

Blogs, books, journals, any form of written document all have a limited impact. Why? Because the words spoken can only be understood by those who understand the launguage written. However, written printed documents that lead to policy changes can have a much wider impact.

People are also forgetting the impact of the voter. Though this is not a singular person event, there are very few things more powerful then the vote. If you really want to try and make a policy change and are not a mayor or have any other similar position, then write a policy yourself and try to find a representative to help you push forward with the policy.

That would be an interesting thing to do some day. As for languages, there is probably a lot of power in learning languages, don't you think? I mean I know English and Spanish which are #2 and #3 on world's most spoken list.

All I's gots ta do is learn Mandarin and I'm set!

That would be an interesting thing to do some day. As for languages, there is probably a lot of power in learning languages, don't you think? I mean I know English and Spanish which are #2 and #3 on world's most spoken list.

All I's gots ta do is learn Mandarin and I'm set!

I've heard of people that can speak 5 to 7 different languages. What these people do with this ability, I have no idea.

If you want to get a written document out to millions of people outside of your own language (which is English), you will want a person that is fluent in the language that you want it translated to and have them translate the document.

I'm working at becoming an international educator in the subject I want to work in for the medical field. I can't go into details as it would give away who I am.

Truth be spoken, as far as I think, educating the people in this world on topics that they don't have access to too learn is one of the best ways to make an impact. Many countries have a strong held religous belief that a person born with a malformation is a gift from God. Trying to educate these countries about how stuff really happends (for how malformations occur) is one hell of a difficult task.

Oh yes, right. India in particular, right? I saw once a boy or girl born with a tail and they were all worshiping her. Then there was that girl with the two faces. Yeesh!

Oh yes, right. India in particular, right? I saw once a boy or girl born with a tail and they were all worshiping her. Then there was that girl with the two faces. Yeesh!

Exactly!!!!! One of the main goals in my life is to educate the world on this type of topic (pm me if you want specifics as I don't want to give away who I am here).

It doesn't matter, just live in the now. Eventually the whole human race will become extinct, like it or not. Everything all humans have done in the past and into the future won't mean squat on the cosmic scale.

It doesn't matter, just live in the now. Eventually the whole human race will become extinct, like it or not. Everything all humans have done in the past and into the future won't mean squat on the cosmic scale.

I doubt it. As naive as it may sound, I think the human race is here to stay regardless of whether or not the Earth does, if you catch my drift.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the universe is losing energy to entropy. No atp, no humans :)
Study harder for that physical sciences section on that mcat.

Point is, even if humans are around another billion years, let alone another 4 years after this coming election, few people if any are going to remember who was important 1,000 years ago. Can you name the 18th pope off the top of your head for instance?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the universe is losing energy to entropy. No atp, no humans :)

Point is, even if humans are around another billion years, let alone another 4 years after this coming election, few people if any are going to remember who was important 1,000 years ago. Can you name the 18th pope off the top of your head for instance?

And who is going to care about the Black Plauge of the early 1920's 1,000 years from now? But that isn't the point. There are a few names that will be around until mankind is no longer around. A few athletes names will be around forever (whether people care about that person isn't the point...the name will continue to be around), Einstien's name will be around forever, the names of the two people who discovered the DNA helix will be around forever, the people (or person) that figure(s) out how life started will have a name be around forever, and we can add more names to the list.

If a person really wanted to make a name for themself forever, I have an idea that will put your name in history forever. Develop a microbe that will do away with every person that can't fight it...meaning, the people who have a certain set of genetics will vanish. You could basically do away with the majority of the human species.

Heat death is a theory, buddy.

I need to laugh at you all in the face, except for the OP. A good song will last forever. Some of the best songs from the 1980's will be around forever because they were such great songs. I don't see any song from the 1990's or 2000's that will be around forever (ex: who let the dogs out).

There are music stations around the whole country that place just songs from the 1980's. There are more stations that play just songs from the 80's then the 90's.

I don't know about any of you, but when I listen to my favorite songs from the 80's I get full of energy. That right there is making a difference in a person's life.

99 Luftballoons (aka 99 Red Balloons)... Good times!

I need to laugh at you all in the face, except for the OP. A good song will last forever. Some of the best songs from the 1980's will be around forever because they were such great songs. I don't see any song from the 1990's or 2000's that will be around forever (ex: who let the dogs out).

There are music stations around the whole country that place just songs from the 1980's. There are more stations that play just songs from the 80's then the 90's.

I don't know about any of you, but when I listen to my favorite songs from the 80's I get full of energy. That right there is making a difference in a person's life.
I am not sure if those hippie songs will really last that long, but in terms of musical longevity the best example is classical music. Bach composed his pieces over 300 years ago, and we are still listening to him. Same with Mozart and Beethoven. Maybe the younger generation doesn't listen to classical, but I have noticed that a lot of intelligent professionals love classical. You do get those occasional dilettantes attending Disney Concern Hall who have no idea who the piece belongs to, but many are connoisseurs. When I bought my grand piano from USC, I was told about how some doctors get together and make music with some regularity. There aren't a lot of radio channels on classical, but it really lives in certain circles. Some of the best modern artists have learned a lot from classical. There are even a few classical themes in (c)rap, believe it or not.

I am not sure if those hippie songs will really last that long, but in terms of musical longevity the best example is classical music. Bach composed his pieces over 300 years ago, and we are still listening to him. Same with Mozart and Beethoven. Maybe the younger generation doesn't listen to classical, but I have noticed that a lot of intelligent professionals love classical. You do get those occasional dilettantes attending Disney Concern Hall who have no idea who the piece belongs to, but many are connoisseurs. When I bought my grand piano from USC, I was told about how some doctors get together and make music with some regularity. There aren't a lot of radio channels on classical, but it really lives in certain circles. Some of the best modern artists have learned a lot from classical. There are even a few classical themes in (c)rap, believe it or not.

I love classical music and I think many more people would to if only they were exposed to it more regularly. I also know many surgeons who listen to classical while they operate. Now that would be pretty awesome.

An '80s song about war-torn Berlin! Good times, indeed :thumbdown:

As for the topic at hand, to me becoming a physician has nothing to do with fulfilling my legacy. I talked about this in my personal statement, and from my extremely limited experience in family and emergency medicine, I see the physician as a watchdog for the health and well-being of society. Doctors, especially in family medicine, are confronted by private interests (drug and insurance companies), and must make decisions both scientifically and ethically motivated that have profound effects on healthcare locally and, potentially, nationwide.

I'd also like to make a comfortable living, kthnx.

Neuro,

Do you want to join me with my business? I want to make a difference in this world and I will fight until the day I am laid in my grave to do what I told you I want to do in the pm (please don't express any specifics on my plans in this thread).

The majority of this world can continue to go to the bar and get drunk every weekend, but I refuse to do that. My goal is to do what I told you about, and to spread the service until every country in this whole world has it. Every country will have a training program in this field. In the end, every member of this world will have a chance to have the service.

Pm me your response.

I love classical music and I think many more people would to if only they were exposed to it more regularly. I also know many surgeons who listen to classical while they operate. Now that would be pretty awesome.
Exactly. What better job in the world than doing something you love while listening to the music you love? And when you're the surgeon in the room, you don't have to care as much whether your assistants don't like the music. I put on classical all the time at work and many people comment positively, but there are some younger ones (late 20s early 30s) who don't like it too much, so I keep the volume low. I was dumbfounded when a few weeks ago this guy put on not just rap, but Mexican rap. I would never say anything since he's a higher ranked, older, "smart" engineer, but if he was an assistant in my team I would get rid of him. You can't discriminate based on music, but as my close friend explained to me (he has been a manager at different banks for over 20 years), you can always find something on anyone and fire them based on that. There was this black woman who used to work at his bank. She had a disability that made her unable to stand for long. My friend got a new boss and he started inquiring about this woman. He didn't like her and told my friend, a manager, to get rid of her. Now, she is URM and disabled. Anyway, she was caught to have an error on a minor transaction and was fired. So despite all the minority rights and all, there are ways you can get rid of people, even if the only thing you don't like is their cultural refinement, i.e., their music.

If a person really wanted to make a name for themself forever, I have an idea that will put your name in history forever. Develop a microbe that will do away with every person that can't fight it...meaning, the people who have a certain set of genetics will vanish. You could basically do away with the majority of the human species.
Great idea. NIH will be all over this poo poo--just fax me a proposal and I'll make sure it gets there before the hour.

yes, and i can tell you it will be a LONG time before you do anything life changing. it's like going into the Lincoln Tunnel and not coming out for 10 years.