Is being a doctor really that interesting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hell yea being a doctor is cool. So is being a dentist. We need both in the health care setting. I've seen some crazy dental cases while doing my ER/outpatient rotations. Do what you want to do, not what others project onto you. Happy people will be happy. Miserable people will be miserable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That grass always looks greener on the other side heh
This is true. I'm half-way done with intern year and its not that bad. Prepare for the worst and it can't get any worse when you actually begin. In fact, I'd say the past 6 months have been very fulfilling.

Note, this answer is before I begin the blur of a month known as ICU :p.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Interesting" is relative.

Is being a doctor "interesting" compared to being an astronaut or a professional athlete? Probably not. Interesting compared to being a lawyer, accountant, scientist, engineer, banker or other truly comparable jobs? Yes.

This is true. I'm half-way done with intern year and its not that bad. Prepare for the worst and it can't get any worse when you actually begin. In fact, I'd say the past 6 months have been very fulfilling.

Note, this answer is before I begin the blur of a month known as ICU :p.

Everyone's experiences varies of course, but this seems to be the general story I hear from most interns. They complain about being overworked, tired, and initially clueless, but most people seem to enjoy it much more than medical school, at least when it comes to the actual clinical work being done.

Not exactly gonna be living The Wolf of Wall Street life, but heard it pays the bills. Also get the satisfaction of helping people, instead of screwing people like many other careers. If that matters to you...

Reactions: 1 user