Is being a Pharmacist less stressful than pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you another dean of a pharmacy school posting made up crap?

What rock have you been under? Very few new grads are starting at 120k. Maybe only the cream of the crop. Most new grads are getting 48 hour PRN and about $52 an hour. And that’s IF they get a job.

Thank you king...

Members don't see this ad.

You were terrible at your job. Please don't discourage others from making 120K+ after four years of professional school, still in their twenties, just because you personally weren't suited for pharmacy. Should have gone for the trades maybe, less interaction with customers standing in line. Oh yes, there's less saturation as well. Less debt too...weren't these things all that you were complaining about?

LOL 2019 grads are making 51$ an hour with happy healthy. That’s way less than 120k annually. And they are only guaranteed 32 hours a week. That’s the new reality of what the employment market is.

Even if you do well, people like you and you get 40 hours that’s still 106k a year. Not even close to your 120k a year. And expect this number to keep plummeting.

But no, keep selling everyone the lie that we suck at our jobs and every new grad is rolling in 120k+ offers.

Reactions: 2 users
You were terrible at your job. Please don't discourage others from making 120K+ after four years of professional school, still in their twenties, just because you personally weren't suited for pharmacy. Should have gone for the trades maybe, less interaction with customers standing in line. Oh yes, there's less saturation as well. Less debt too...weren't these things all that you were complaining about?

What exactly do you do? Are you a pharmacy student?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL 2019 grads are making 51$ an hour with happy healthy. That’s way less than 120k annually. And they are only guaranteed 32 hours a week. That’s the new reality of what the employment market is.

Even if you do well, people like you and you get 40 hours that’s still 106k a year. Not even close to your 120k a year. And expect this number to keep plummeting.

But no, keep selling everyone the lie that we suck at our jobs and every new grad is rolling in 120k+ offers.

I'm actually looking at walgreens and CVS right now, just to see whats going on, get me resume moving. I hate the thought of working for slime like CVS, but if i have to , i could i suppose. However, i'll try and give WM a shot to pull it together a while and assume they have a plan other than getting rid of the old money pharms and in with the new lower paid ones.

Now the point was, i got a call from some walgreens dm in Florida right? I asked what type of positions were open? she replied something to the effect of moving around a lot, and eventually a store will open where you can apply. Set up a phone interview for Tuesday. I'm gonna play along, and see what they offer. and keep doing this with CVS too to get an idea of what really is out there. All my pals say garbage jobs, waste of time. lol....Now i dont want to go back to FL from CO, but i will if WM becomes too unstable...but the jobs are all garbage, i'm doing a social experiment you could call it....

I'm actually looking at walgreens and CVS right now, just to see whats going on, get me resume moving. I hate the thought of working for slime like CVS, but if i have to , i could i suppose. However, i'll try and give WM a shot to pull it together a while and assume they have a plan other than getting rid of the old money pharms and in with the new lower paid ones.

Now the point was, i got a call from some walgreens dm in Florida right? I asked what type of positions were open? she replied something to the effect of moving around a lot, and eventually a store will open where you can apply. Set up a phone interview for Tuesday. I'm gonna play along, and see what they offer. and keep doing this with CVS too to get an idea of what really is out there. All my pals say garbage jobs, waste of time. lol....Now i dont want to go back to FL from CO, but i will if WM becomes too unstable...but the jobs are all garbage, i'm doing a social experiment you could call it....

I’d be curious to see what rate they end up offering you :)

Are you another dean of a pharmacy school posting made up crap?

What rock have you been under? Very few new grads are starting at 120k. Maybe only the cream of the crop. Most new grads are getting 48 hour PRN and about $52 an hour. And that’s IF they get a job.

Bro iv'e been a tech since 97', and Rph since 2012, dont you talk to me like that. I'm great at what i do. Always have been, or i wouldnt have gone to school for it. Unlike the "new" generation, that went to school because they assumed they would be a good fit. Dont you dare talk to me like that......When i decided to go to school the field was still booming and blossoming. I wasnt stupid like this new generation to do it anyway in the face of assured failure.

Looks like a throwaway account. Only 2 posts

Reactions: 1 users
It depends...I started as a tech (full time) while going back for pre reqs at my previous hospital and then worked as an intern. I was hired as an overnight pharmacist and I knew every nook and cranny in the hospital and how to make chemo, tpn's, etc. It was obviously scary b/c now youre on the other end...no more babysitter. You start to see a lot of the same things so you get better gradually...not instantly.

At least in the retail setting, the stress level is about the same but a different type. On the job at 11am and 4pm, things can get hairy similar to a day before midterms or finals. The fear of failure is like the fear of making an error; you try not to think of it and you do your best to prevent it. I tend to be laid back, so as long as you stick to what you know, you will do well.

At least in the retail setting, the stress level is about the same but a different type. On the job at 11am and 4pm, things can get hairy similar to a day before midterms or finals. The fear of failure is like the fear of making an error; you try not to think of it and you do your best to prevent it. I tend to be laid back, so as long as you stick to what you know, you will do well.

The funny part is that some very old pharmacist don't care. The pharmacist I worked with who is like 66? years old told me that he literally has a stars each month but nothing has ever happened to him. Patients never really get mad at him too because most the patients that go to that pharmacist go there mainly because they've been with this pharmacist and pharmacy manager for 20+ years already and are fine with their mistakes.

The funny part is that some very old pharmacist don't care. The pharmacist I worked with who is like 66? years old told me that he literally has a stars each month but nothing has ever happened to him. Patients never really get mad at him too because most the patients that go to that pharmacist go there mainly because they've been with this pharmacist and pharmacy manager for 20+ years already and are fine with their mistakes.

If that pharmacist is in good standing w/ corporate metrics, the store staff, and the customer satisfaction score is decent, that pharmacist will probably keep his job for as long as he wants. He makes an error a month but if the customer isn't harmed and doesn't escalate, nothing will happen. The most dramatic errors one can make is wrong patient or completely wrong drug. As long as there is no solid reason for them to fire him, I don't think it'll happen.

And yes, some old pharmacists don't care. They've been doing it too long and have seen it all. If they lose their jobs, they can just go retire and be done with all these shenanigans.

Hi everyone,

I'm entering my fourth year of pharmacy school, and the curriculum can get pretty stressful and demanding (I'm handling it well so far though). I'm wondering if it'll be less taxing and stressful when I finally become a pharmacist. I'm aiming to get into clinical pharmacy and work in a hospital. Or will it be...more stressful?

Aside from flu shot season, yes. Flu shot season if hell.

Well I didn't know there were any "good" retail jobs. Chains work you like slaves and give little help. Now ad the pressure to sell flu shots and covid testing with no more help and well you get the picture. I left pharmacy after about 3 years and was glad I did. I learned quickly my dream of owning a pharmacy was never going to come true. You really don't know how poorly you are treated in Pharmacy until you leave it. Then you realize wow jobs have lunch breaks if you need off for a doctor visit its no big deal. Oh and holidays off weekends off you'll never get that in Pharmacy.

Hi everyone,

I'm entering my fourth year of pharmacy school, and the curriculum can get pretty stressful and demanding (I'm handling it well so far though). I'm wondering if it'll be less taxing and stressful when I finally become a pharmacist. I'm aiming to get into clinical pharmacy and work in a hospital. Or will it be...more stressful?

the most stressful aspect of all this is probably trying to find the clinical job in the first place

Different kind of stress. During school, it was stressful thinking of the consequences of not doing well enough on exams. Like really stressful. But also fun because your friends are around you all the time, and you dream together of days where you can have steady income.

As a pharmacist, the type of stress is different as well. When you're starting out its stressful because everything is new including the level of responsibility. There seems to be a hundred ways to mess up and get fired, sued, or harm a patient. But it is nice to know you passed school and got your license so as long as you dont mess up you can work as a pharmacist and get steady income.

Later, there's other stress like dealing with people, daily grind of the job, and wondering if this is life for the next couple decades. Also...life happens and loved ones die, children might arrive, mortgages have to get paid, and our own physical condition isn't like it was at 25. Yet you still have to work carrying all those responsibilities and it becomes intermingled with work stress. And so on. I know older coworkers who stress about getting laid off before they hit retirement age.

My advice is to see your main job as investing - investing financially, in your self development, your life skills, your social circle, your overall health and happiness. That's your main job. Your second job (pharmacist or otherwise) is income and should enable you to do your main job of investing.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
My first year as a pharmacist was definitely more stressful than any year of Pharmacy school. Ever since then, it has been less stressful.

I would say the first year or two out is more stressful. But you also dont have all those stupid pointless presentations shoved down your throat by academics that worked one year in the profession before bailing out

Bro iv'e been a tech since 97', and Rph since 2012, dont you talk to me like that. I'm great at what i do. Always have been, or i wouldnt have gone to school for it. Unlike the "new" generation, that went to school because they assumed they would be a good fit. Dont you dare talk to me like that......When i decided to go to school the field was still booming and blossoming. I wasnt stupid like this new generation to do it anyway in the face of assured failure.
hahaha preach on!

I always wonder how this old threads radomly get bumped.
I think because they get listed in the "Similar threads" at the bottom of each page, and then people click on them and answer them, without realizing the date. Like as I typed this response, there are 5 listed similar threads, with dates ranging from 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2022.

I think because they get listed in the "Similar threads" at the bottom of each page, and then people click on them and answer them, without realizing the date. Like as I typed this response, there are 5 listed similar threads, with dates ranging from 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2022.
Sdn tells you if the thread is old and makes you click a box that you know this and still want to post