Is being an optometric tech worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtta

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm a recent grad with a BS in biology. I just decided on optometry as my path recently so I did not prepare in undergrad at all, so I'm taking a gap year. I'm planning on studying and taking the OAT by the end of the year. I'm also planning on shadowing and starting the application process. Since this is the last year I have where I'm "free" before optometry school, I also wanted to use that time to travel. At the same time, I do not think I'm a strong applicant yet so I was considering becoming an optometric tech until next year when I leave for school. After doing a little shadowing I realized that being a tech seems a bit stressful (the job entails a lot) and the training takes a while so I'd only be a tech for a couple of months. Is it worth it? I don't think I could do much traveling as a full-time tech so I guess I'm trying to decide if I would be a strong enough applicant with the OAT and shadowing alone or should I commit to being a tech as well.
I'd appreciate any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if your academic profile is strong enough, you should be competitive on that alone. Obviously being a tech is helpful for you to know what you're getting into, but I'm not sure it would rank you ahead of some who had better marks than you.