Working as optometric tech or assistant count as shadowing hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureeopt

Reaction score
Hi, I need more shadowing hours and was wondering if working as an optometric technician or assistant would count towards the ~40 hours minimum? I'm planning on applying to ICO and CCO.

Members don't see this ad.

Several years ago at a different school they did not accept my thousands of hours of working as a certified technician for shadowing. Shadowing is different.

Go shadow and shadow different types of practice. Vision therapy, contact lens, disease, private practice, hospital, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I need more shadowing hours and was wondering if working as an optometric technician or assistant would count towards the ~40 hours minimum? I'm planning on applying to ICO and CCO.
I think that will definitely help your CV, but I agree with the above, shadow a few hours in various specialties or different types of practices—I think that’ll be a plus.

Hi! I'm going to ICO in the fall and I primarily only worked as a tech! They didn't really question it, I did do a couple of small informational interviews with a vision therapist, OD working corporate, and someone else working in an MD/OD clinic!