IS bias of Private Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenroses

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am convinced even though they claim no IS bias there definitely is some…

Members don't see this ad.

There is always going to be inherent bias because:
1.) Med Schools want their doctors to stay in the area and practice there
2.) Students from IS are far more likely to matriculate there than someone with no connections

On top of that, some private med schools do in fact get state funding, so there may be some quota.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah there is some regional bias even for private schools, but this may be because people from that area are more likely to attend the school so they are more likely to be given interviews/get accepted. I don't think its a major thing for private schools but it does exist. Obviously the bias is way higher in public schools.

Many states have in-state bias as proven by their IS student matriculation vs. OS student matriculation. It seems that this is more prevalent in the Southern and Central regions of the country. You can see this data here.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

As a side note, I find it interesting that several states have no medical school in their state at all (Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming). So it can safely be said that these states show no IS bias. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Many states have in-state bias as proven by their IS student matriculation vs. OS student matriculation. It seems that this is more prevalent in the Southern and Central regions of the country. You can see this data here.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

As a side note, I find it interesting that several states have no medical school in their state at all (Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming). So it can safely be said that these states show no IS bias. ;)

Idaho, Alaska, Montana and Wyoming don't have a medical school, but they do have other arrangements (namely the WWAMI program). Oddly enough, it is easier to get into UW as an Idahoan, Montanan, Alaskan or Wyomingite than it is as a Washingtonian.