medicinho
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As someone applying next year for 2028 admission, I primarily wanted to work as a CRC during my 2 gap years. I have two jobs to choose from, either doing company sponsored research with a private clinic that has their own research unit or being a CRC at a T10 academic hospital. For context, I do have wet lab research experience but no publications.
Option A: Company-sponsored research role at a private specialty clinic. Mainly phase II-IV trials. PIs / doctors are very accessible day-to-day, hybrid-ish schedule. Downside: sponsored trials mean essentially no opportunity to publish or present. Any research output would have to happen entirely on my own time, outside the job.
Option B: CRC role at a well-known academic medical center. They mentioned staff funding to attend conferences. Downside: new hires are assigned to mainly sponsored trials with no choice in PI, on-site full time, and from what I've been told, research/publication opportunities are just as limited as Option A - most studies are sponsored, so presenting or co-authoring isn't really built into the role either. Also requires a 2-year minimum commitment, which is workable but leaves no cushion before I'd need to apply.
Any insight from people who've navigated something similar, or adcoms who've seen both types of CRC experience on an app, would be really helpful.
Option A: Company-sponsored research role at a private specialty clinic. Mainly phase II-IV trials. PIs / doctors are very accessible day-to-day, hybrid-ish schedule. Downside: sponsored trials mean essentially no opportunity to publish or present. Any research output would have to happen entirely on my own time, outside the job.
Option B: CRC role at a well-known academic medical center. They mentioned staff funding to attend conferences. Downside: new hires are assigned to mainly sponsored trials with no choice in PI, on-site full time, and from what I've been told, research/publication opportunities are just as limited as Option A - most studies are sponsored, so presenting or co-authoring isn't really built into the role either. Also requires a 2-year minimum commitment, which is workable but leaves no cushion before I'd need to apply.
Any insight from people who've navigated something similar, or adcoms who've seen both types of CRC experience on an app, would be really helpful.