Is BLS prerequisite for PALS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vertigo7

Physician, IMG
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is BLS prerequisite for PALS certification? I tried to look it up but without success.
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

No, not generally. Most places teach and test BLS skills (for children) as part of PALS. PALS will not generally touch adult BLS, so depending on where you work, you might need a BLS class (or ACLS class) for that portion (my hospital has fairly recently begun to require that critical care, ER, and OR staff have PALS and ACLS because we take care of a fair number of non pediatric patients--per the AHA, PALS is designed for kids <8 or pre-puberty). Anyhow, I'd ask whoever you're going to take PALS from, but usually, you're ok to learn BLS through PALS.

No, not generally. Most places teach and test BLS skills (for children) as part of PALS. PALS will not generally touch adult BLS, so depending on where you work, you might need a BLS class (or ACLS class) for that portion (my hospital has fairly recently begun to require that critical care, ER, and OR staff have PALS and ACLS because we take care of a fair number of non pediatric patients--per the AHA, PALS is designed for kids <8 or pre-puberty). Anyhow, I'd ask whoever you're going to take PALS from, but usually, you're ok to learn BLS through PALS.
So is ACLS the standard for say, a 16-17 year old?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering by on the way to somewhere else....
I am a PALS instructor, and you do have to have pass the skills test for BLS certification (The child portion) in order to pass PALS. Some places teach them together, and you only get a PALS card. Other places skip the BLS portion and require to take that class before coming to the PALS course (this seems to be more common). While others teach both the same day and give both cards.

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm going to apply for peds this fall should I get PALS certification now, or is that something you do in residency?