Is BRS Physiology (Costanzo) Adequate Physio Coverage for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoljansRightBicep

Call Me Poppie
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. I'm trying to streamline my studying for Step 1, and I'm finding that reviewing physio from Y1 is taking up a lot of my time. I'm very comfortable with the material in the BRS Costanzo textbook, but I also use the Zanki deck - so far I have been ignoring the physio subdecks in Zanki because I don't know if I can afford to invest that much time into the process.

Is memorizing BRS enough, or should I bite the bullet and go through the thousands of Zanki physio cards as well? Advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never used the Zanki deck, but using BRS Physiology during first year helped me a lot because some professors didn't know how to teach and I was able to score high 80s and 90s. It helped for reviewing weak topics for Step 1 as well. Use First Aid 2017 (best edition) to supplement as well.

I've never used the Zanki deck, but using BRS Physiology during first year helped me a lot because some professors didn't know how to teach and I was able to score high 80s and 90s. It helped for reviewing weak topics for Step 1 as well. Use First Aid 2017 (best edition) to supplement as well.
So you didn't feel like there was physiology on Step 1 that was found outside of BRS and FA?

So you didn't feel like there was physiology on Step 1 that was found outside of BRS and FA?

The test might test you on physio that you can't find in BRS and FA, but those are your highest yield resources that will be enough for the test. In fact, most of the test is pathology, so I would focus more on that because there is much more info to cover than normal physiology. Check the USMLE Step 1 content guidelines. Are you an MS1 or MS2?

UFAP (UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma) is a popular method for studying for Step 1. If you can afford it, you might also wanna do some practice questions from UWorld.

Members don't see this ad :)
Title says it all. I'm trying to streamline my studying for Step 1, and I'm finding that reviewing physio from Y1 is taking up a lot of my time. I'm very comfortable with the material in the BRS Costanzo textbook, but I also use the Zanki deck - so far I have been ignoring the physio subdecks in Zanki because I don't know if I can afford to invest that much time into the process.

Is memorizing BRS enough, or should I bite the bullet and go through the thousands of Zanki physio cards as well? Advice appreciated!

You should read all of Costanzo textbook as a foundation first. Supplement with Guyton & Hall, Berne & Levy as reference, etc and then BRS Costanzo for review as the next step.

If you honestly can do a set of 200 random cards form all the decks and you know them all than I would skip it, but there is gold in those decks that I would personally not want to miss

Reactions: 2 users
If you honestly can do a set of 200 random cards form all the decks and you know them all than I would skip it, but there is gold in those decks that I would personally not want to miss
Thank you for directly addressing my actual question in this thread. This was the information I was looking for. For reference, have you taken Step 1 or are you an MS2?

I probably should have stated that I'm an MS2 in the original post, since most people seem to have assumed I'm in Y1 for some reason. I'll restate: I'm an MS2 studying for Step 1 in June, shooting for a high percentile - are BRS + FA sufficient resources to encompass the physiology on Step 1, or should I use Zanki physiology to increase my breadth?

Thank you for directly addressing my actual question in this thread. This was the information I was looking for. For reference, have you taken Step 1 or are you an MS2?

I probably should have stated that I'm an MS2 in the original post, since most people seem to have assumed I'm in Y1 for some reason. I'll restate: I'm an MS2 studying for Step 1 in June, shooting for a high percentile - are BRS + FA sufficient resources to encompass the physiology on Step 1, or should I use Zanki physiology to increase my breadth?

I'm a MS2. I have done a good amount of uworld, and looked at a few NBME's though and definitely can say I have needed the physio from zanki. FA may be enough if your background is very strong, but you need a strong understanding of the concepts to answer the questions they ask. You need to know the why and have it at the forefront of your mind so you don't drop the ball in the moment. Although practice questions are probably just as valuable for that as well

Like I said if you really think you now it, than maybe you do and you wont need the zanki physio.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a MS2. I have done a good amount of uworld, and looked at a few NBME's though and definitely can say I have needed the physio from zanki. FA may be enough if your background is very strong, but you need a strong understanding of the concepts to answer the questions they ask. You need to know the why and have it at the forefront of your mind so you don't drop the ball in the moment. Although practice questions are probably just as valuable for that as well

Like I said if you really think you now it, than maybe you do and you wont need the zanki physio.
Good info, thank you for the advice.

are BRS + FA sufficient resources to encompass the physiology on Step 1...?

No. get a hold of Costanzo’s Cases and Problems book to test your knowledge. Her questions have little to do with memorization but rather application. Know the formulas cold. Add to that Guyton and Hall Physiology Review where they have tons of questions. Brutal book.

The more Step 1 physiology type questions you do, the more confident you will be prior to taking Step 1. Given your goal, skimping is not the way to proceed

Good luck

No. get a hold of Costanzo’s Cases and Problems book to test your knowledge. Her questions have little to do with memorization but rather application. Know the formulas cold. Add to that Guyton and Hall Physiology Review where they have tons of questions. Brutal book.

The more Step 1 physiology type questions you do, the more confident you will be prior to taking Step 1. Given your goal, skimping is not the way to proceed

Good luck
Thanks for the response. To help me develop some context, which year of medical school are you in? If you've completed Step 1, would you mind sharing your score? Your recommendations are a little non-traditional, and I'm curious to know how they worked out for you. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. To help me develop some context, which year of medical school are you in? If you've completed Step 1, would you mind sharing your score? Your recommendations are a little non-traditional, and I'm curious to know how they worked out for you. Thanks.

sure. to provide verification that you are a US MD student, would you provide your Credit Card number, expiration date, 3 digit secret code and spelling of your name? I promise I wont tell anyone

you get what you pay for her sweetie.

68572E8B-AF0B-4560-A991-5E5CBC31D306.jpeg
Guyton and Hall's review is quite easy- like 20-30secs/question to answer and 15secs to read the short explanation (no explanation of the wrong choices).

Attached is a screen shot from my older 2nd Edition (2011) Kindle version of Guyton and Hall Review. I am not sure what the current edition is. The question stem reads:

“Questions 3–6 Which points in the following graph most closely define the following conditions? Normal erythropoietin (EPO) levels are approximately 10.”

If you feel these questions are easy, then you have your answer. If you can not answer these question correctly in “20-30 seconds”, then you have your answer. You can consult your physiology sources for the correct answers.

Hey guys, need some advice regarding Physio.
After finishing UWorld and FA, if one needs to further strengthen their Physio, with the exam being one month away, what’s the better route to go for: Kaplan qbank physio questions or BRS Physiology book? Have time for one of these two only.
(For reference: current Physio knowledge is kinda average, not too weak but not strong either. Aim is 250. 240s acceptable in the worst case)
Thanks!!

I've read mixed reviews about Guyton and Hall. Some people say it has incorrect/ misnumbered answers. There's nothing I hate more than blatant misinformation in an educational text, and it's an instant deal breaker for me if I encounter it.

Hey guys, need some advice regarding Physio.
After finishing UWorld and FA, if one needs to further strengthen their Physio, with the exam being one month away, what’s the better route to go for: Kaplan qbank physio questions or BRS Physiology book? Have time for one of these two only.
(For reference: current Physio knowledge is kinda average, not too weak but not strong either. Aim is 250. 240s acceptable in the worst case)
Thanks!!

BRS Physio IS Costanzo.
Know it cold. She provides excellent review of key concepts, practical charts of items to memorize and decent review tests after each chapter.

If you can not answer these BRS Phsyioogy questions, pick up Costanzo Physiology Text book and do it again. Having a kinda average knowledge will get you a below average step 1 score

Kaplan dumbs down the education
0C5622C2-B10C-4430-AD53-BCD20D3E25EE.jpeg

BRS Physio IS Costanzo.
Know it cold. She provides excellent review of key concepts, practical charts of items to memorize and decent review tests after each chapter.

If you can not answer these BRS Phsyioogy questions, pick up Costanzo Physiology Text book and do it again. Having a kinda average knowledge will get you a below average step 1 score

Kaplan dumbs down the education
View attachment 226731

Thanks
Yes I know BRS Physio book is written by Costanzo.
Contanzo textbook is not one of my options, unfortunately. So that’s out of the question.
My only 2 options are BRS and kaplan qbank questions. You’re in huge favor of BRS, I’ll take your advice, thanks again!

I'm more of a fan of BRS, but I think both of them can be a little heavy and don't do a great job building understanding of the concepts. Phiz Whiz is a video based resource that does a good job with that and makes it more interactive
Good luck with the test