Is Business major okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I don't have a major anymore, I am exploring which major is okay to major in. Does anyone in here have a Business degree? I am deciding between Biology or Finance and just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For medical school any major is ok, I am an economics major with a specialty in Finance and I have an acceptance. It often does bring up why "economics" or why "this major" so be prepared to answer that question in an interview

nanali said:
Now that I don't have a major anymore, I am exploring which major is okay to major in. Does anyone in here have a Business degree? I am deciding between Biology or Finance and just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks

nanali said:

Do whatever you like better. Med schools don't care. Plus, everyone does bio. Being different is always good :) And as the other poster said, just be prepared for the "why this major" question.

Members don't see this ad :)
nanali said:

As long as you get your pre req's done, it doesn't matter what your major is. Have fun and learn something that you are interested in.

Good luck!

agree - finance and econ major here.

nanali said:

Medical schools take any major, as long as your complete the prerequisites.
The business degree will be much more useful for a practioner than a biology degree. You will learn all of the bio you need in the prereq's.

There are people in medical school with every degree you could think of.

I am a finance major from UT Austin. Some schools care about your undergrad major, just go check out UT Houston's website. However, I don't think it really matters in general. I just got accepted and I am a Finance/ biology minor.

Chiuster82 said:
I am a finance major from UT Austin. Some schools care about your undergrad major, just go check out UT Houston's website. However, I don't think it really matters in general. I just got accepted and I am a Finance/ biology minor.

Ha ha. Me too. Finance and Bio major with an acceptance as well. I guess graduating with these two unrelated majors isn't that unusual anymore.

nanali said:

I was an MIS major in the business school at UT-Austin--med schools love it when you have a passion for something......just pick whichever major you are most interested in and it will show in your grades, application, etc (plus, you will be happier and have a good college experience!)

Good luck! :luck:

-tx

Business is definitely fine for a pre-med student. I majored in Finance and was just accepted. During interviews, it's an interesting topic to discuss. I think majoring in something besides a science sets an applicant apart. Do what you love! :)

Majoring in something non-bio will definitely set you appart. Just be prepared to answer the "why this major question" and "why you want to be a doctor and not what ever you studdied" question.

We had a latin major in our school, who was a latin teacher before going to med school. Come to think of it we had a massage therapist and a guy who was "involved in construction." You can be whatever your little heart desires, as long as you do well on your medical pre-req classes and the MCAT

I think being a business major would be really good, considering that much of medicine is a business, and especially if you'd like to open your own practice, a business degree would be to your benefit and advantage....one of my friends who is currently a 3rd year majored in finance and strategic marketing or something like that, specifically for the reason that he wanted some business experience to benefit him once he graduates from med school.........although I wonder how much business stuff he will actually remember once he's totally fried his brain with all science

I am an economics major and I got accepted into a MD/MBA dual degree program

Having the knowledge of the healthcare delivery from a business stand point, will help you in your interviews and as a career as a physician.

I was Economics/Managerial Studies and Asian Studies and I got in too...I think it helped, cuz I talked about things a lot in my interviews

MBA in Entrepreneuship and Finance here. I can tell you that with a business major, you will have more interesting things to talk about in interviews. Every single interview I've had eventually turned into an economics discussion. Outsourcing was brought up at my interview yesterday. Go for it!