Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I really appreciate any input on my situation. I'm Canadian and graduated with a H.BSc. Kinesiology degree last year.
MCAT: 513 (127/129/127/130) <-- 1st take, written just last month.
sGPA (DO): 3.3
sGPA (MD): 2.8
cGPA: 3.3
cGPA (last 2 years): 3.7
The reason why my sGPA differs so drastically b/w DO & MD is because AACOMAS counts KIN courses towards sGPA while AMCAS does not (I did most of those standard 1st year science courses as electives in my 1st/2nd year of uni...when I was not so...motivated, to say the least).
I can see how I might stand a fighting chance at DO schools if I'm American, but I'm not. Can my relatively better performance in my last two years redeem me a little? I know some Canadian schools do consider only last two years/2 best years, but I haven't seen anything like this for the U.S.
In this year after graduation, I've been working with my KIN prof to get a paper published. Also working at a scoliosis clinic and we are conducting a pilot study on genetics. Lastly, I'm also serving as Communications Officer of a start-up charity incorporated just this year.
Other experiences with volunteering/ECs include: at a holistic health center and at an acquired brain injury clinic. Have shadowed physicians in a Caribbean hospital for 3 months over the summer. Have also work experience at a dentist clinic (as a receptionist).
I have considered the U.S. but I feel like my chances there are slim, and perhaps time is better spent applying to the Caribbean? Frank input is greatly appreciated.
I really appreciate any input on my situation. I'm Canadian and graduated with a H.BSc. Kinesiology degree last year.
MCAT: 513 (127/129/127/130) <-- 1st take, written just last month.
sGPA (DO): 3.3
sGPA (MD): 2.8
cGPA: 3.3
cGPA (last 2 years): 3.7
The reason why my sGPA differs so drastically b/w DO & MD is because AACOMAS counts KIN courses towards sGPA while AMCAS does not (I did most of those standard 1st year science courses as electives in my 1st/2nd year of uni...when I was not so...motivated, to say the least).
I can see how I might stand a fighting chance at DO schools if I'm American, but I'm not. Can my relatively better performance in my last two years redeem me a little? I know some Canadian schools do consider only last two years/2 best years, but I haven't seen anything like this for the U.S.
In this year after graduation, I've been working with my KIN prof to get a paper published. Also working at a scoliosis clinic and we are conducting a pilot study on genetics. Lastly, I'm also serving as Communications Officer of a start-up charity incorporated just this year.
Other experiences with volunteering/ECs include: at a holistic health center and at an acquired brain injury clinic. Have shadowed physicians in a Caribbean hospital for 3 months over the summer. Have also work experience at a dentist clinic (as a receptionist).
I have considered the U.S. but I feel like my chances there are slim, and perhaps time is better spent applying to the Caribbean? Frank input is greatly appreciated.