Is Cleveland that dangerous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramseszerg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to wikipedia, it is the 7th most dangerous city in the US with a population of 100,000-500,000, and 11th most dangerous city overall. Total violent crime of 13.95 and murder/manslaughter of 0.2, compared to Detroit's 19.67 and 0.4, and New York's 5.52 and 0.06.. 52.5% black, 26.6% graduation rate from public schools, rated poorest city in 2006.. This all sounds pretty bad, are these just numbers or is it really that bad? Also, is crime high in other areas or it is high also in the area around Case Western?

Members don't see this ad.

According to wikipedia, it is the 7th most dangerous city in the US with a population of 100,000-500,000, and 11th most dangerous city overall. Total violent crime of 13.95 and murder/manslaughter of 0.2, compared to Detroit's 19.67 and 0.4, and New York's 5.52 and 0.06.. 52.5% black, 26.6% graduation rate from public schools, rated poorest city in 2006.. This all sounds pretty bad, are these just numbers or is it really that bad?

I don't know why the 52.5% black statistic matters. It's the Asians you should worry about - they know kung fu.

Last edited:
It's all about knowing your surroundings. I go to school in one of the top 5 worst cities. It's not glamorous, and at times, I sometimes wish I went to a school in a nice city. I would like to enjoy those football games, fancy diners, etc etc; however, all that "good" stuff is insignificant when I compare what a great education I'm getting.

Regarding Cleveland, I did interview and get accepted there. From what I've heard from the students, the school itself is in a "pocket" of good area. However, if you wander to far off or go out to late at night you are asking for "trouble." But the reality is every place is like that. It just so happen Cleveland's "rates" are higher. Some of the students live further away in good areas, and I'm sure you can do that to as a future student.

Case has a great educational system, and it's up to you whether area/location matters alot. If you want to go out alot and experience "life," then cleveland may not be for you as compared to ucsf, uop, nyu, and others.

They say in dental school, one doesn't really have time to relax and unwind, but there are times where you can. It's your choice whether you want to unwind in cleveland or in a better area. But then again "unwinding" and "having fun" may be differently prioritized for people choosing dental schools.

Edit: Personally after going to school for four years in a "bad" area, I'm ready for a change of pace. :p

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize already for putting the 52.5% black statistic in my OP. It was probably unnecessary, I should've thought more about if it might offend anyone.

According to wikipedia, it is the 7th most dangerous city in the US with a population of 100,000-500,000, and 11th most dangerous city overall. Total violent crime of 13.95 and murder/manslaughter of 0.2, compared to Detroit's 19.67 and 0.4, and New York's 5.52 and 0.06.. 52.5% black, 26.6% graduation rate from public schools, rated poorest city in 2006.. This all sounds pretty bad, are these just numbers or is it really that bad? Also, is crime high in other areas or it is high also in the area around Case Western?

Most great dental schools are located in urban areas. Why? Because they were formed a long, long time ago and most of the population lived in the hub of cities. The most dangerous, least educated, and highest crime rate belongs to CAMDEN NJ! Cleveland is NOT Camden........been to both.

Last edited:
More Crime = Less Education ... Less Education = Poorer Health ... Poorer Health = More Patients

two of the best youtube videos ever

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM[/YOUTUBE]

LOL

What is there to do in Cleveland? Restaurants?

And how hard is it to get a place in the safe "pocket" area around Case Western? How high is the rent?

Regarding case, I remember reading an article about a guy who went to case dental and on his graduation day, someone broke into his house and killed him for the 40 bucks he had in his wallet. Pretty sad. I also interviewed at case and was accepted. I totally loved the school but the area scared me alittle. I also personally know a girl who was held at gun point and robbed in little Italy area

The train ride to CASE was a little bit sketch, I have to admit. Lets just say, I wasn't fiddling with my Iphone and I kept my belongings close by.

I'm not saying its dangerous, but its meh, I would rather take a rental car:p

LOL

What is there to do in Cleveland? Restaurants?

Having gone to Case for undergrad I have to say that Cleveland isn't the best of cities. It does have some redeeming qualities though. The restaurant/food scene is surprisingly good. The area directly surrounding Case is definitely lacking though as far as food goes. There are a few decent places on Euclid (the main drag). Also Little Italy is right there and has some nice cheap options.

As for things to do, there are many nice museums in University Circle where Case is located. There is shopping of course, and a really nice music scene. Cleveland gets so many bands, it's kind of unreal. For smaller unknown bands you can go to the Grog Shop, the Agora, or Beachland Ballroom. For bigger shows you can go to the Q(Quicken Loans Arena), the House of Blues, or Blossom Music Center. Of course you also have the Cleveland Orchestra right on campus if you like classical music.

Cleveland is also heavy on sports. It's always nice to spend an afternoon watching baseball or going to a basketball game. Oh there is also a pretty active theater district downtown.

Basically Cleveland has all the amenities of a larger/more prosperous city, but on a smaller scale.

Regarding case, I remember reading an article about a guy who went to case dental and on his graduation day, someone broke into his house and killed him for the 40 bucks he had in his wallet. Pretty sad. I also interviewed at case and was accepted. I totally loved the school but the area scared me alittle. I also personally know a girl who was held at gun point and robbed in little Italy area

Are you sure the dental student didn't have his kidneys removed first and left in a bathtub full of ice before the break-in?? I LOVE urban legends........:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

Stop adding to the plague!:barf:Racism.

"I'm Rev. Al Sharpton and I approved this message"

LOL if you call the article that was published in the case western news letter an urban legend then by all means....

there is actually a scholarship in the guys name that is funded by his family.

I was accepted at Case too, and also paid the deposit. But Cleveland is sorta a dump and dangerous, that's my only concern. How are you supposed to enjoy your dental school years if you're always scared to death that your are going to be harmed in some way?

i think case is in a pretty decent area. my dad has lived on the east side for a long time and really likes it. just find a place in shaker heights if you don't want to live near campus ;)

Whoa, I checked out that area in NJ with the highest crime rate. Reminds me of the slums in Iraq.

Whoa, I checked out that area in NJ with the highest crime rate. Reminds me of the slums in Iraq.

The slums in Iraq are a suburban oasis compared to Camden. I heard Rutgers was going to move UMDNJ dental school to the Camden campus because it was a step-up from Newark! Imagine a medical school and dental school in Camden......makes me glad Cleveland ROCKS!!!:):):)

I was born and raised in the suburbs of Cleveland and had many friends who attended Case undergrad. Many parts in and around Cleveland have been in decline since the 1970s, including Akron and expecially Youngstown... yet we take it in stride. This is a generalization, but Clevelanders are generally very friendly, helpful, and have a sense of humor.

It's true Case is in a pocket of safety amongst a very bad neighborhood (East Cleveland, absolutely awful). The bad areas outside Case and University circle include the West, North, and most areas South of Case (the campus is very safe all the time). The only areas considered safe are just east of Case (a hipster type area) and Little Italy, which is where most of the students live.

That said, most of the crime is concentrated in a few neighborhoods (East Cleveland, Warrensville Heights, Bedford Heights), but most of the other neighboorhoods are typical Americana burb, safe with a few things to do here and there. The previous poster is right, the music scene is pretty good, restaurants consist mostly of chains (with a few notable exceptions, 'Melt' for instance), sports sucks (the source of our humor), weather sucks (similar to the Northeast and most of the midwest in snow, the seasons, but the overcast is similar to the Pacific Northwest, not that much sunshine, esp in the winter). All of this, I believe, is made up for by the friendliness of the people... this is why I moved back home despite living in Boston for a few years, abroad, etc.

Overall, I strongly recommend having a car... otherwise you have to live close to school (in little italy or just east of Case) and doing anything social you will have to rely on someone with a car or travel through some of the nastier parts of town via public transport. Having a car not only allows you to do stuff on weekends and get to the great parks/rural areas not so far outside Cleveland, you can also live a bit further away in one of the many nicer areas (beachwood especially, but also mayfield heights, gates mills, or, like what i will do, even further in twinsburg, etc.) If you have a car, youll be just fine. You'll spend more time driving, but have a much much better quality of life.

Even worse, Camden recently laid off half of their police force, 163 officers. Newark laid off 100 or so back in November. Obviously car jackings etc went up. They are treating it like a "Emergency Room" situation where the most important crimes get treated first.

NJ you scary!:eek:

Is downtown Cleveland dangerous? From what I've seen most of the nicer apartments & condos are downtown so I'd want to live there and probably drive everywhere. Are there nice apartments/condos in Shaker Heights or is it mostly suburban houses? I don't feel like renting a house and having to take care of the lawn, etc.

If you do get injured by some criminal activity you should feel comfort that case is a rock throw away from Cleveland clinic! Great medical clinic to be next to.

If you do get injured by some criminal activity you should feel comfort that case is a rock throw away from Cleveland clinic! Great medical clinic to be next to.

Befriend some medical students :thumbup:

I heard Cleveland isn't that great but it's not Camden or Detroit. So I guess it could be worse?

For more information:

Case Protective Services website includes access to the daily crime log for the past few years.

Not sure how accurate this website is, but you can check out the geography of crime according to filed police reports. You can also compare with other parts of the country where you are thinking about going to school as well. If you really want to be a bit more precise, go to neighborhoodscout.