Is clinic hard for everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teeth and Titanite

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new D3 who is struggling hard in clinic. I worked pretty hard during D1 and D2 to create strong grades, I was trying to make myself as clinic ready as possible. Perhaps unsurprisingly, not much of preclinical is carrying over to clinic and I feel really clueless most days. Even the simple things, like alginate impressions or radiographs I end up messing up some way. With perio probing I am slow, can barely see when probing molars, and often get the depths wrong when faculty checks. For most procedures, I can't even seem to figure out a comfortable position to work on the patient (I review ergonomic/seating charts, still feels awkward and I do everything gingerly).

When faculty do something because I can't, I am shocked with how easy they make it look. Their technique is often unlike anything I've read about. I understand they have a lot of experience over me, but right now I can't fathom how I can build towards that. I feel like I don't really learn what I need to do differently to get better, only my mistakes get pointed out. Not trying to complain about clinic, I can understand it is supposed to be hard and I can handle criticism; I just want to figure out how I will get better. Is this something most people experience when starting in clinic? How long did it take for you to feel comfortable doing dental work?

Members don't see this ad.

D3 is when you learn and improve on the areas you've listed.

You'll be surprised by how much better you'll get by the time you are D4 and graduate. Just put in the effort, work hard, and ask around whenever you need help. If you need screwups, now is the time.

Reactions: 3 users
they make it seem easy because they have been doing it for years.

don't worry, everything you are describing sounds completely normal. just keep observing and working hard, you will be fine in a year and much more comfortable by the time you graduate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses, it is reassuring to hear that. Like you guys are saying, I also notice the D4s at my school look comfortable when working. If this system has worked for them, it will probably work for me. I will definitely try to make the most of this year and keep working hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Just get the degree. In DS you don’t know anything & cannot know anything, clinically.

Ie. Most of the stuff you listed should never be performed by a dentist, and will be delegated to assistants.

If you’re like most people I know you’ll learn to be a dentist in the years after you graduate.

Reactions: 2 users