Is clinical experience in an OMF surgical clinic valuable for premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jobrooks32

Reaction score
I am currently a premed masters student and just started working in a OMF surgery clinic. One surgeon is a DDS while the other is a DDS MD, and theres also an anesthesiologist. Though my job entails working for both of them, I would say my role is more anesthesia assist than oral surgeon assist (obviously). My main job is to ensure that the patient is able to breathe while under general anesthesia (though I also assist with other trivial tasks, ie handing the anesthesiologist the IV line and hooking up the patient to monitoring devices). This is done by airway management (essentially holding up the patients chin to ensure their airway isn't blocked). I have no certifications (medical assistant, EMT, CNA) and this opportunity just arose abruptly. I'm just curious if this type of clinical experience is beneficial to me as a premed or if it is too far in the realm of dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

It counts a bit, but it would help getting into observing a traditional surgery experience. Many hospitals have observatory domes where you can peer into the OR while surgeries are going on. I don't know whether the rooms also let you listen into the chatter in the OR...

It is a patient experience and you are in the room with at least one physician... do be prepared to answer "why not dentistry?" but it is admirable to have had a close look at both and had the opportunity to make an informed decision.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It counts a bit, but it would help getting into observing a traditional surgery experience. Many hospitals have observatory domes where you can peer into the OR while surgeries are going on. I don't know whether the rooms also let you listen into the chatter in the OR...
Yea I won't be applying until the 2026 cycle, was only planning on doing this for about 14 weeks @20 hours a week. Get a solid 250+ hours. I already have plenty of physicians that are willing to allow me to shadow, just thought I needed some sort of patient contact instead of sitting back and watching

Reactions: 1 user