Is CME during last year of residency useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

It_is_what_it_is

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that you could save CME during your last year of residency then use that CME as soon as you become an attending. The idea is that the CME can be submitted up to a year after completion. So you would accumulate CME your last year of residency, save it, submit it day 1 of being an attending, and then have mad CME credits locked and loaded.

Does anybody know if this is true???

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard a rumor that you could save CME during your last year of residency then use that CME as soon as you become an attending. The idea is that the CME can be submitted up to a year after completion. So you would accumulate CME your last year of residency, save it, submit it day 1 of being an attending, and then have mad CME credits locked and loaded.

THANKS!

Why would you want to do this?

A lot of times the CME requirement for your first few years out in practice is waived, because your residency experience counts as CME.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

THANKS!
As @smq123 above said, you often don't need it. Check with the state(s) where you plan to practice.

If you're going to things that are required by your residency where you can get the certs, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get them. I wouldn't go searching out extra CME though, and I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

As stated above, you get a ton of CME for having finished residency (I think you pay a few bucks to the AMA).

You also get CME for board certification if I’m not mistaken.

I get well over my required CME for just looking up medicine doses and other things on uptodate.

Reactions: 1 user
CME is laughably easy to get. Going to one big conference gets you two years worth in a lot of states.

And yeah, as above, depending on your state you'll probably get credit just for being a resident and for taking your boards.

Or just reading up-to-date.

Some states have weird CME requirements, but they're usually only for renewing a license (so in 2-3 years) not for getting your initial one.