Is course load an issue during the admissions process?

Started by ocwaveoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all.
I'm a non trad student who returned to school to take the med school prereqs. Since gen chem are prereqs for ochem, I had to schedule my 4 semesters back at school like this: Semester I-Bio I, Gen chem I, Sem II- Bio II, Gen chem II, Semester III- Ochem I, physics I, Semester IV- Ochem II, physics II. Would this light load pose a problem since the admissions committee may wonder if I can handle the load in med school or not? Otherwise, I have a 4.0 in those prereqs, overall of 3.42 and BCPM of 3.82...with MCAT to be taken in Aug of this year.
Thanks.
 
Hello all.
I'm a non trad student who returned to school to take the med school prereqs. Since gen chem are prereqs for ochem, I had to schedule my 4 semesters back at school like this: Semester I-Bio I, Gen chem I, Sem II- Bio II, Gen chem II, Semester III- Ochem I, physics I, Semester IV- Ochem II, physics II. Would this light load pose a problem since the admissions committee may wonder if I can handle the load in med school or not? Otherwise, I have a 4.0 in those prereqs, overall of 3.42 and BCPM of 3.82...with MCAT to be taken in Aug of this year.
Thanks.

I do not think it will reflect badly at all. Physics II and Ochem II together is no walk in the park.
Additionally, since you are a returning student, they would not expect you to be taking a full time course load. It might be a good idea to throw in some extra recommended science courses like physiology, cell biology, genetics, biochem, etc if you have time.

Where you/are you working while taking those?
 
Hello all.
I'm a non trad student who returned to school to take the med school prereqs. Since gen chem are prereqs for ochem, I had to schedule my 4 semesters back at school like this: Semester I-Bio I, Gen chem I, Sem II- Bio II, Gen chem II, Semester III- Ochem I, physics I, Semester IV- Ochem II, physics II. Would this light load pose a problem since the admissions committee may wonder if I can handle the load in med school or not? Otherwise, I have a 4.0 in those prereqs, overall of 3.42 and BCPM of 3.82...with MCAT to be taken in Aug of this year.
Thanks.

It is far better to lighten the load and do quality work than load up with courses with mediocre results. If you are doing "damage control" from a previously low undergraduate GPA, you cannot afford any grade lower than a B+. If you were previously a nonscience major, you cannot afford to have any grades in your pre-med coursework lower than a B+.

If you have the overall undergraduate GPA and MCAT score, your will do far more to erase any doubts about your ability to handle the curriculum in medical school. If you are applying in the upcoming year's cycle, be sure to get your application done and submitted long before you take that MCAT. August is pretty late.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From my experience, the optimal situation is for you to take a full load of undergraduate courses (typically five classes including two science class) and do well in them (get GPA 3.5). If you don't think you can do well on them with a full load, the next best thing is to keep a light load and do well. The worst thing is to have a light load and NOT do well.

If you think you can do well with a full load, do it. If you are working and going to class, adcoms can understand that and won't mind if you take part time classes. If you know you can't do well with a full load, don't try to, it'll only hurt your application. But from what I know, you may not get the full benefit of a good application if you deliberately keep a light schedule even though you could do well on a heavier load.
 
I am going to steal your thread being that its a related topic. sorry.

I will be taking Physic I (calculus based), Chem I, Bio I, and Calculus II, next fall 07. My theory is that if i take all the basic science classes at the community college, which is where I am at right now, I will be able to take advanced science classes at the 4 yr university at ease, possibly even resulting in higher level of research. But, would this schedule seem a bit too much? is it even possible? Also, a major concern would be if medical schools like this at all? will they like that im taking all my science classes at the community college, except orgo chemistry.
 
[QUOTE: I will be taking Physic I (calculus based), Chem I, Bio I, and Calculus II, next fall 07. My theory is that if i take all the basic science classes at the community college, which is where I am at right now, I will be able to take advanced science classes at the 4 yr university at ease, possibly even resulting in higher level of research. But, would this schedule seem a bit too much? is it even possible? Also, a major concern would be if medical schools like this at all? will they like that im taking all my science classes at the community college, except orgo chemistry. ]

I recently communicated with Dartmouth about this very question. The admissions representative told me that they will accept courses from any accredited institution.

However, with that said, if you go the community college route, you better get straight As ... an A- or a B+ in a community college is NOT the same, when evaluated by a human (the computers might not care), as an A- or B+ in a rigorous 4 year university.
 
Speaking from personal experience, I don't think a light course load is much of an issue IF you do well in your classes and on the MCAT. It'd be a little tough explaining why you got B+'s when you were only taking two classes while some of the younger students with twice as many units managed to get As.