Is Covid contact tracing considered clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

Is Covid-19 contact tracing work - calling patients who've tested positive - to ascertain their recent contacts and then to call those contacts to advise them that they have been exposed - considered clinical work?

The communications are entirely by phone/email and not in person for obvious reasons.

I'd be especially interested to hear the perspective of SDN's resident medical school admissions posters.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can't see or smell the patients. I'd say an interesting EC, but not clinical.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with previous poster: there isn't patient interaction, so it can't really be considered clinical. Be patient, and try to attain a clinical experience that involves patient interaction (of course when things clear up a bit more). As far as I know, there is not much more that people looking to intern on the floor can do at the moment.

According to my definition of clinical experience, you need to be in the same room as the patient. Clearly, you are not. Ergo, not clinical in that sense. Still, a good employment (or volunteer) activity to list on your application and perhaps something novel enough that you might be asked to talk about it a bit at interview.

I don't think it's clinical experience but I think it's worth listing on your ECs or talking about in your covid essay