Is Creighton a prestigious university?

Started by SugarNaCl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's still a good school and I'm sure there are some people that love being there.
 
Yeah, I don't know if I would necessarily call it prestigious, but, I think it is fairly well known as a good school. I applied at Creighton, and when I tell people the schools I've applied to, Creighton is one they pick out and say, "Oh, that's a good school." No one ever says that about Pacific, which many pre-dents would argue is better, but most non-pre-dents haven't heard of it before. So, I think it's just a matter of perspective. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Creighton. . .whatever that's worth.
 
As far as dental schools go (being from Utah), creighton is very recognized as a great dental school.

It is most likely due to the name recognition with the UofU RDEP. Saying you got into the RDEP is pretty cool, since you are one of only ten from one of the largest feeder states in the nation.
 
Hi
No Creighton is not Harvard nor is it really in a great part of the country because NE is freezing and flat. But, I went to Creighton for undergrad and heard repeatedly throughout my 4 years that we ranked either 1 or 2 in the "Best Colleges in the Midwest" Category. Also, the dental school, and med school a bit, definitely have name recognition, if not among the public then at least among other health professionals. Plus if you're a college basketball fan you know Creighton because we've probably messed up you March Madness brackets a couple of times! I would agree that prestigous is not quite the right word to use to describe Creighton; however, I don't think prestigous is used to descibe much west of the Mississippi 🙂
 
Creighton is regionally respected as a university. The Ivy league and the CA schools seem to get most of the national attention academically. Since dental schools aren't ranked I'm at a loss as to how or why you would compare Creighton to anywhere else. Maybe a campus tour and interview would clear this up.
 
Ok maybe it's not prestigious but isn't Creighton's Medical and Dental School considered one of the top schools of its time?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on what I've read in this thread, yes.

There is a distinction between Ivy league and prestigious.

prestige |presˈtē zh; -ˈtēj|
noun
widespread respect and admiration felt for someone or something on the basis of a perception of their achievements or quality
 
Hi
No Creighton is not Harvard nor is it really in a great part of the country because NE is freezing and flat. But, I went to Creighton for undergrad and heard repeatedly throughout my 4 years that we ranked either 1 or 2 in the "Best Colleges in the Midwest" Category. Also, the dental school, and med school a bit, definitely have name recognition, if not among the public then at least among other health professionals. Plus if you're a college basketball fan you know Creighton because we've probably messed up you March Madness brackets a couple of times! I would agree that prestigous is not quite the right word to use to describe Creighton; however, I don't think prestigous is used to descibe much west of the Mississippi 🙂

Basketball-wise

Wichita State >>> Creighton

😀
 
i think creighton is a good school. yes, creighton is no harvard, but neither is harvard a creighton. you could graduate last in your class at harvard, but the best in your class at creighton, and honestly at the end of the day on the surface people will probably say harvard is a prestigious university.

it really is perspective. but school is school. wherever you are at, just be the best!

good luck and God Bless!
 
This is BS. You busted your ass off in undergrad to be accepted to become a health professional. You were chosen out of hundreds of applicants. Only top of the top get into Dental School. EVERY DENTAL SCHOOL is prestigious. I'm sick of this "Harvard and etc. school are prestigious but X school isn't" NO, every school is.
 
No.

It's not prestigious.
Okay. Although it's not prestigious when compared to top schools like Harvard and Yale, it's still one of the most prestigious universities in the midwest. Yes, I am a Creighton student, and that's why I truly know how rigorous this school is. Now the rigor really depends on the major you're pursuing at Creighton. Typically the students who face the most rigor are bio, chem, physics, and math students. And if you're pre-med as well, then it becomes even harder because of the additional classes you have to take to prep for the MCAT (e.g., orgo, calc, biochem, sociology, physics, etc.). You might think "well, pre-med students at all schools across the nation have to do what you just said". That may be true, but here's the catch and what makes Creighton so damn hard: Our core curriculum, also known as the Magis Core. It's not that it's solely the core curriculum that's hard. I'd say our Magis core currciulum is very tedious but when you factor in classes towards your major and pre-med/pre-dent/pre-law/etc. classes, then it gets harder. Given that Creighton is a jesuit and liberal arts school, we have to take a whole lot of classes that have nothing to do with our majors (at least for me that is, since I'm bio pre-med), but our core curriculum is insane. Aside from my major (bio) classes and pre-med classes, I have to take 21 classes, as does every other student who is part of Creighton's College of arts and sciences. I think business students may have a different core and I know that honors students have a shorter and less tedious core curriculum. The number of core classes should be 24, but I'm excluding the "understanding natural sciences", "understanding social sciences", and "doing natural sciences" sections because pre-med students already have to take intro bio (organismal), intro psychology, and intro bio (cell), which fall under "understanding natural sciences", "understanding social sciences", and "doing natural sciences", respectively. For students at Creighton who are not pre-med, they're taking 24 Magis core classes. Pre-med students at Creighton are technically taking 24 as well but again, 3 of them have to be taken for the MCAT anyways. Now just as an example, I'm going to bring up Stanford because of how prestigious it is. I looked up Stanford's core curriculum requirement to graduate, and it's only 4 core classes. There's hundreds of other schools that only require 4-6 core classes to graduate. Creighton students have to take these 24 classes on top of the classes towards their major and that's without being on any career track. If you're on a track such as pre med, pre law, pre dent, pre ot, etc. at Creighton, you then have to take these core classes as well as classes that count toward major... as well as classes you need to prep for the MCAT! And then I see students here taking on two majors, taking 18 credits a semester, working, participating in their fraternity/sorority, volunteering, and so much more, and I'm just like "how do they do all that? I'm already finding it challenging to balance my major, pre med, and the core requirements". And I'm pretty sure the magis core class requirements factor in to the fact that our graduation rate is about 76%, whereas prestigious schools like Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, MIT, Duke, Cornell, U Chicago, Cal tech, etc. are above 90% and Harvard and Yale are 97% or above. Unfortunately, Creighton is very underrated.
 
Yesterday I heard it referred to by a local that way. Is that accurate? I didn't apply there, I'm just curious.
No.

It's not prestigious.
No.

It's not prestigious.
Okay. Although it's not prestigious when compared to top schools like Harvard and Yale, it's still one of the most prestigious universities in the midwest. Yes, I am a Creighton student, and that's why I truly know how rigorous this school is. Now the rigor really depends on the major you're pursuing at Creighton. Typically the students who face the most rigor are bio, chem, physics, and math students. And if you're pre-med as well, then it becomes even harder because of the additional classes you have to take to prep for the MCAT (e.g., orgo, calc, biochem, sociology, physics, etc.). You might think "well, pre-med students at all schools across the nation have to do what you just said". That may be true, but here's the catch and what makes Creighton so damn hard: Our core curriculum, also known as the Magis Core. It's not that it's solely the core curriculum that's hard. I'd say our Magis core currciulum is very tedious but when you factor in classes towards your major and pre-med/pre-dent/pre-law/etc. classes, then it gets harder. Given that Creighton is a jesuit and liberal arts school, we have to take a whole lot of classes that have nothing to do with our majors (at least for me that is, since I'm bio pre-med), but our core curriculum is insane. Aside from my major (bio) classes and pre-med classes, I have to take 21 classes, as does every other student who is part of Creighton's College of arts and sciences. I think business students may have a different core and I know that honors students have a shorter and less tedious core curriculum. The number of core classes should be 24, but I'm excluding the "understanding natural sciences", "understanding social sciences", and "doing natural sciences" sections because pre-med students already have to take intro bio (organismal), intro psychology, and intro bio (cell), which fall under "understanding natural sciences", "understanding social sciences", and "doing natural sciences", respectively. For students at Creighton who are not pre-med, they're taking 24 Magis core classes. Pre-med students at Creighton are technically taking 24 as well but again, 3 of them have to be taken for the MCAT anyways. Now just as an example, I'm going to bring up Stanford because of how prestigious it is. I looked up Stanford's core curriculum requirement to graduate, and it's only 4 core classes. There's hundreds of other schools that only require 4-6 core classes to graduate. Creighton students have to take these 24 classes on top of the classes towards their major and that's without being on any career track. If you're on a track such as pre med, pre law, pre dent, pre ot, etc. at Creighton, you then have to take these core classes as well as classes that count toward major... as well as classes you need to prep for the MCAT! And then I see students here taking on two majors, taking 18 credits a semester, working, participating in their fraternity/sorority, volunteering, and so much more, and I'm just like "how do they do all that? I'm already finding it challenging to balance my major, pre med, and the core requirements". And I'm pretty sure the magis core class requirements factor in to the fact that our graduation rate is about 76%, whereas prestigious schools like Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, MIT, Duke, Cornell, U Chicago, Cal tech, etc. are above 90% and Harvard and Yale are 97% or above. Unfortunately, Creighton is very underrated.