Is dental-related volunteering a must?

Started by lizzie48
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lizzie48

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I’m currently a sophomore in undergrad who is wanting to apply to dental school next summer, but I’m caught up on not having enough dental related activities. I do have a lot of shadowing hours as well as non-dental related extracurriculars (research, volunteering). I feel as though, besides the shadowing, my application isn’t dental focused enough due to lack of work as a dental assistant or volunteering at a dental clinic since there aren’t many opportunities for me to do so where I live (+ I don’t know if I have the time to work as an assistant). I’m worried I won’t have much to talk about in my personal statement as to why i chose dentistry (instead of medicine etc.) because I lack those experiences you get actually working in a dental office instead of just observing. Is dental related volunteering/dental assisting a must? Should I really push to pursue a position doing these things?

Any advice or knowledge is helpful! Thanks!
 
I
Hey everyone!

I’m currently a sophomore in undergrad who is wanting to apply to dental school next summer, but I’m caught up on not having enough dental related activities. I do have a lot of shadowing hours as well as non-dental related extracurriculars (research, volunteering). I feel as though, besides the shadowing, my application isn’t dental focused enough due to lack of work as a dental assistant or volunteering at a dental clinic since there aren’t many opportunities for me to do so where I live (+ I don’t know if I have the time to work as an assistant). I’m worried I won’t have much to talk about in my personal statement as to why i chose dentistry (instead of medicine etc.) because I lack those experiences you get actually working in a dental office instead of just observing. Is dental related volunteering/dental assisting a must? Should I really push to pursue a position doing these things?

Any advice or knowledge is helpful! Thanks!
I think it is important to know what it's like to work regularly in a practice. You will be putting yourself through a rigorous education and lots of debt so it's a very small price to pay. Without knowing more, that's my general advice.
 
I wouldn't say it's a must, but I think having that experience will help solidify your decision and make writing your PS a little easier, especially when asked "why dentistry" in an interview. I didn't have any dental related experience except for shadowing. I had experience in academic research related to medicine and then had volunteer work with the less fortunate which I think helped me out there. But if you're lacking in something, this would be a way to help make up for it.