Is Denver worth the fourth year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerDurden

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at mostly 3 year programs but also at Denver. I liked it there, but am not sure how much I want to do a 4th year, particularly since at this point I am thinking of doing a peds fellowship. Anyone in a similar situation or have any ideas? Cant stop thinking in circles...

Members don't see this ad.

TylerDurden said:
I interviewed at mostly 3 year programs but also at Denver. I liked it there, but am not sure how much I want to do a 4th year, particularly since at this point I am thinking of doing a peds fellowship. Anyone in a similar situation or have any ideas? Cant stop thinking in circles...

I went to Denver and it was definitely worth it for me. I grew up in Colorado and wanted to come home. I also really respected the faculty. The training is great. The department has plenty of power to make sure its residents are gaining valuable experience off service and not just being scutted out or treated like med students. I was so autonomous during fourth year that by the time I finished the fourth year I felt really no change as I transitioned to being an attending. I left feeling prepared for anything. The program is so well known that you should be able to get a job in academics or private practice anywhere you want when you are done.

That being said, plenty of people have made it clear that if you are good enough to get into Denver or a similar caliber 3 year program you can more than likely get whatever fellowship or job you want when you get out so the extra year probably doesn't give you much of an advantage. There are four year programs that make a policy of not hiring faculty who have only done three years unless they have a few years experience some where else or a fellowship but I think there are exceptions even to that rule.

The bigger question for me now would be whether the new integrated internship at Denver is worth it. For many people having an integrated 4 year program would be preferable but I wanted to do a medicine internship and I wanted to stay in NYC for 1 more year so that would have been a negative for me.

TylerDurden said:

If I wanted to do 7 years of training I would've become a neurosurgeon. It's all about what you want. Nothing anybody here tells you is going to help you with this decision. Do you really like the program? Will you be happy there?

Members don't see this ad :)
ERMudPhud,
I feel like I'm in a similar situation. I like Cook County in Chicago which is 4 years, is well know, good reputation, good training but I'm not sure if I want to do an extra medicine year. You mentioned about a similar caliber 3 year programs as Denver. What 3 year programs would you consider are Denver caliber?
I interviewed at a good mix of 3 and 4 year programs. My top few programs I'm debating between are Henry Ford, UT Houston, Cook, Resurrection in Chicago. I have family/friend draws to these cities.
I'd appreciate your input on what 3 year programs you'd consider Denver caliber and any thoughts on the above programs I mentioned.
Thanks

ERMudPhud said:
I went to Denver and it was definitely worth it for me. I grew up in Colorado and wanted to come home. I also really respected the faculty. The training is great. The department has plenty of power to make sure its residents are gaining valuable experience off service and not just being scutted out or treated like med students. I was so autonomous during fourth year that by the time I finished the fourth year I felt really no change as I transitioned to being an attending. I left feeling prepared for anything. The program is so well known that you should be able to get a job in academics or private practice anywhere you want when you are done.

That being said, plenty of people have made it clear that if you are good enough to get into Denver or a similar caliber 3 year program you can more than likely get whatever fellowship or job you want when you get out so the extra year probably doesn't give you much of an advantage. There are four year programs that make a policy of not hiring faculty who have only done three years unless they have a few years experience some where else or a fellowship but I think there are exceptions even to that rule.

The bigger question for me now would be whether the new integrated internship at Denver is worth it. For many people having an integrated 4 year program would be preferable but I wanted to do a medicine internship and I wanted to stay in NYC for 1 more year so that would have been a negative for me.

I am also wrestling with this decision, and which programs you would consider to give similar quality of training. Feel free to PM me or, better yet, post for all to see if you have any info.

AP MD 05 said:
ERMudPhud,
I feel like I'm in a similar situation. I like Cook County in Chicago which is 4 years, is well know, good reputation, good training but I'm not sure if I want to do an extra medicine year. You mentioned about a similar caliber 3 year programs as Denver. What 3 year programs would you consider are Denver caliber?
I interviewed at a good mix of 3 and 4 year programs. My top few programs I'm debating between are Henry Ford, UT Houston, Cook, Resurrection in Chicago. I have family/friend draws to these cities.
I'd appreciate your input on what 3 year programs you'd consider Denver caliber and any thoughts on the above programs I mentioned.
Thanks

Sorry I never got around to replying until now. It was an ugly weekend. To be honest I'm not that up on the politics and prestige of various EM programs right now. I'm sure you can get a pretty good idea on the interview trail or your EM advisors of where the hot 3 year programs are. My opinions would be a bit out of date and not very relevant.