Is having your Oral Boards re-graded worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vash86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took and failed my AOBEM oral boards. However, I'm pretty sure I did well enough to pass on all my cases. The summary I got was that I failed to diagnose, treat and stabilize a patient leading to mortality but none of my patients died and all of them were stabilized by the time of disposition. On the off chance the examiner was being unfair I'm wondering if I should get my exam re-graded. Also, does anyone know if there are any downsides to getting the exam re-scored besides losing $200?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve never heard of a single case being changed from fail to pass. But maybe someone else here has?

I’d say save the money and just do a prep course next year. Oral boards are dumb, they’re so artificial and really just a money grab. But it’s part of the price of admission.

You’ll get it next time.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve never heard of regrading the oral boards, usually only graded in real time.
It is recorded only for a specific complaint, not for regrading

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve never heard of regrading the oral boards, usually only graded in real time.
It is recorded only for a specific complaint, not for regrading
He took AOBEM, which is the osteopathic version. I’m guessing they have that option. I believe ABEM specifically states they do not offer any form of regrading before you even take it. Just another clown car organization trying to steal money from EM physicians.

Reactions: 1 user
He took AOBEM, which is the osteopathic version. I’m guessing they have that option. I believe ABEM specifically states they do not offer any form of regrading before you even take it. Just another clown car organization trying to steal money from EM physicians.
AOBEM also has a no regrading policy…
They tell candidates before they take the test

AOBEM also has a no regrading policy…
They tell candidates before they take the test
I emailed AOBEM and that's what they told me. I can show you the email if you want. Either way, if AOBEM does regrade tests, is it worth it if you really think a mistake was made or it was graded to harshly? and are there any examples out there of fail going to pass?

I hear you; and I have my share of criticisms for ABEM.
We *do* need a board. Someone to certify us. Like any other specialty.
What exactly do we want them to do?
It's not like ACEP where they're using our dues to fly to resorts for conferences.

It's not like ACEP where they're using our dues to fly to resorts for conferences.
The way the oral boards works is BS, way too far removed from real life despite attempting to emulate real life. I think the structured interview cases are much better. No roleplaying BS, but you still have to make quick decisions and work through a case. I think the test would be way better if it was all structured interview cases.

Honestly, we should have ABEM/AOBEM certify all of our residencies to pass us in an oral board format before graduation. That would cost us nothing and makes more sense. Though I haven't experienced ALL EM residencies in the US, most do this already as an evaluation tool and to prepare us for oral boards (mine definitely did and still does). If you are willing to allow us to practice EM after graduation without passing boards, it obviously means board certification is a joke (a money grab) and residency is what truly prepares you for attending life.

Honestly, we should have ABEM/AOBEM certify all of our residencies to pass us in an oral board format before graduation. That would cost us nothing and makes more sense. Though I haven't experienced ALL EM residencies in the US, most do this already as an evaluation tool and to prepare us for oral boards (mine definitely did and still does). If you are willing to allow us to practice EM after graduation without passing boards, it obviously means board certification is a joke (a money grab) and residency is what truly prepares you for attending life.

I would agree, except for the fact that a CMG opened a residency in my garage with a 2-bed observation unit and a TV playing EM-related YouTube videos last year and I wouldn't trust any of those CMG "faculty" schmucks to actually verify anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users