Is Dermabond OK for reptiles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamF

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a human doctor. My Bearded Dragon has what appears to be a tiny laceration by her hind quarters on her right side.

It is superficial, and at first appeared to be some residual from shedding, but on inspection the tissue revealed is pinkish, and her coloring is green brown.

Would you recommend Dermabond; a cyanoacrolate dermal adhesive for humans?

Or simple topical antibiotic ointment, like Bacitracin or Mupirocin?

Or, since there is no bleeding evident, should I just give it Time.

She appears well, in no distress and is eating well.

I recently adopted her, and the previous owner said it was shedding.

With Humans, Dermabond only lasts for a week and then falls off.

My bias, in a human patient would be to use the dermabond.

I am asking if anyone knows if Dermabond is safe for Bearded Dragons?

PS: as a doctor who is only responding for one species, that can (sometimes) clearly communicate the issues, and (mainly) hold still for exams and treatments and sutures, I want you guys to know I have INFINITE respect for all you DVM out there.

Members don't see this ad.

3M markets cyanoacrylate for laceration repair in all species (VetbondTM in the vet world). A vet surgery book I consulted said it is certainly a good choice in reptiles... but to me seems like overkill for a 'tiny superficial laceration'.

Edit: as others say below, see your vet if you have real concerns.

Last edited:
3M markets cyanoacrylate for laceration repair in all species (VetbondTM in the vet world). A vet surgery book I consulted said it is certainly a good choice in reptiles... but to me seems like overkill for a 'tiny superficial laceration'.

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply.

It may be overkill, but I have loads of Dermabond at the office.

If it were a human I might have used benzoin and steri-strips, but I confess I love using dermabond. Sometimes I’ll do subcutaneous sutures and close the skin with the glue, works great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the courtesy of your reply.

It may be overkill, but I have loads of Dermabond at the office.

If it were a human I might have used benzoin and steri-strips, but I confess I love using dermabond. Sometimes I’ll do subcutaneous sutures and close the skin with the glue, works great.
See page 30 of "Soft Tissue Surgery, An Issue of Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice" for more information if you have access. It's an interesting read.

Last edited:
If you really had the utmost respect for veterinarians, you would take your pet to a veterinarian for treatment. You also wouldn't be trying to practice veterinary medicine without a license.

Reactions: 6 users

Well, I can’t speak for all mammals, but humans have an impressive inflammatory response to vicryl (which everyone uses). I prefer rapidly absorbing gut, if you’ve never tried it, give it a shot. For patients that have ‘special needs’ I close with rapidly absorbing gut, and a thin layer of dermabond, and it just disappears after a week. no suture removal, no wound care.

If you really had the utmost respect for veterinarians, you would take your pet to a veterinarian for treatment. You also wouldn't be trying to practice veterinary medicine without a license.

It’s superficial, abrasion-like. Would you consider skin glue practicing veterinary medicine without a license? In any case, I don’t plan on doing anything. I was just curious. But, the hostility of your reply leads me to believe you may have some issues to work through.

It’s superficial, abrasion-like. Would you consider skin glue practicing veterinary medicine without a license? In any case, I don’t plan on doing anything. I was just curious. But, the hostility of your reply leads me to believe you may have some issues to work through.

Asking for medical advice on this forum in which it explicitly states in its rules is against TOS, tells me you have the issues because you can't follow basic instructions. You asking for advice also tells me that you're unsure if what you are doing or thinking of doing (including nothing) is appropriate which strongly suggests you need to take your pet to a vet.

Reactions: 6 users
If you think there's a problem for which you are seeking medical advice (which you are, as your first post clearly indicates), then DVMD's response was completely appropriate. Hell, my dog sliced his face open and I took him to a vet (and I am a vet) because I don't have the appropriate supplies or equipment to deal with the situation.

It's also not a bad idea to schedule an appointment with a vet for a "new pet" visit, since you said you recently adopted your beardie. Can get some good husbandry advice (since that's key for exotic species) as well as start a relationship with a vet in case you end up needing to see one on a more urgent basis later (having a known client come in with a known medical history is always better than coming in for the first time with a medical emergency).

Reactions: 5 users
If you think there's a problem for which you are seeking medical advice (which you are, as your first post clearly indicates), then DVMD's response was completely appropriate. Hell, my dog sliced his face open and I took him to a vet (and I am a vet) because I don't have the appropriate supplies or equipment to deal with the situation.

It's also not a bad idea to schedule an appointment with a vet for a "new pet" visit, since you said you recently adopted your beardie. Can get some good husbandry advice (since that's key for exotic species) as well as start a relationship with a vet in case you end up needing to see one on a more urgent basis later (having a known client come in with a known medical history is always better than coming in for the first time with a medical emergency).

Makes sense. I’ll do that.

Thank for the courtesy of your reply.

Reactions: 1 user

Edit: as others say below, see your vet if you have real concerns.

I don’t really have any concerns, it a 2 mm nothing that at the most I would call a skin tear.

Nevertheless, I think it’s a good idea to see a vet for a new pet check up.

Thanks for sharing. Nice to share with colleagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.