Is DMU affiliated with Mercy Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4sure

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never heard if DMU was affiliated with Mercy or any of the other hospitals in town. I figured that the school should be affiliated with these hospitals since DMU seems to be respected by everyone in the city. I think I heard somewhere that they have residencies at Mercy. Oh well, just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is true. Dr. Reed, the dean, is a surgeon at Mercy Hospital and there are residencies there.

The surgery residency at Mercy is affiliated with DMU. They are trying to start some other residencys at Mercy as well. The scuttlebut is that they are trying to get approved for ER and IM. I think that these residencies will be dually accreded. The Surg residency is at this time trying to get ACGME approval.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, do DMU students get any exposure to Mercy Hospital during the first 2 years of school? Why does DMU send so many students out of state when they have good hospitals in town?:confused:

Originally posted by doc4sure
So, do DMU students get any exposure to Mercy Hospital during the first 2 years of school? Why does DMU send so many students out of state when they have good hospitals in town?:confused:

We can go to the weekly surgery rounds at Mercy if we want, among other things that students have been doing there. It's entirely up to the individual student how they want to spend their time. The advisor for the Internal Medicine club invites us to go round with his teams at Methodist. It's all about whether you've got time and how much interest you have.

The word is, they're looking to expand rotation spots in Des Moines and the neighboring areas. We must remember that just because a hospital is there does not mean that they are ready to take in medical students for rotations. And the deal about "sending" students out of town is only applicable for the 6 months of non-elective rotations. You are free to choose the places you want to be at for the remaining 18 months, and that will depend on whether the institution you are interested in can accomodate you and your schedule. Even though Des Moines is a great place to live in (Docgeorge might disagree, eh ;)), many people want to keep their options open and rotate at prospective places for residency, or to broaden their experience.

Good questions :)

The other thing to keep in mind is that just because a hospital is there is that it cannot take all 200 of us for rotations at one time. It can only take a set ammount depending up on attenidngs and available teaching cases.

The other thing you have to rember is that at no school or most schools will not just rotate at one hospital. My friend who is graduating for UC Davis rotated through UC Davis Med center, Folsom Prision, Sutter, Travis AFB. My cousin at NYMC in his 3rd year now has so far rotated throuhg Westchester, St. Vincents, and some place in connetticurr.

However, regarding DMU if your hell bent on staying in the DSM area you probally will be able to either through the Match or by trading with some one else.

Surgery Grand Rounds are a must....those keep me going.:D :D :D

Thank you for clearing up a few things. I am not really hell bent on staying in the DSM area. I just asked because I have heard a few people saying bad things about the clinical experiences at DMU. Actually, one particular person continues to post negative replies. I personally think that the freedom to go out of state would be nice. As you may know, I am from Texas and I am trying to decide between TCOM and DMU. I personally really liked my interview experience at DMU. I also had a good experience at TCOM. I am going for an Airforce scholarship which I am confident about so money doesn't really bother me. By the way, I am going into the military because I want to serve as a physician in the military and not just for the money. If I get into EM, where else would I find better trauma than in the military? Plus, every military hospital I have seen working as a paramedic in San Antonio seems to be state of the art. I wish it was easier to make this decision, but it is not. At least I have no serious relationships at this point because I want to be free to travel. By the way, what is the social life like in Des Moines. Are there a lot of single ladies in their 20's at the school and in the town in general. I know I won't have that much social time, but everyone needs distrations from time to time.:D :D

By the way, what is the social life like in Des Moines. Are there a lot of single ladies in their 20's at the school and in the town in general. I know I won't have that much social time, but everyone needs distrations from time to time.:D :D

There's quite a few colleges in the area, and the bar scene is so much more popular than I thought, so it's not hard to meet people outside of school if you're determined to do so. At the school, there are a few singles in their 20's in my class, more in the PA/PT classes, and some in the DPM class...and people do date around, but there are a handful of couples who have stuck together for a while now. You'll definitely be able to find people in a similar situation as yours, and then you all can go out and get "distracted" after a big exam ;)

Yeah, tough choice you've got there. If you have time and money, why not come for a second look?

By the way, what is the social life like in Des Moines. Are there a lot of single ladies in their 20's at the school and in the town in general. I know I won't have that much social time, but everyone needs distrations from time to time.:D :D

Lucky is single and in her 20's;););):laugh:

But, I still want my 25% lucky............

Everyone's always trying to steal Lucky away from me.....geez. Patience my friends..... :D