Is DO really possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffsatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question! I am applying to medical school this summer and I really want to go DO...however, I have no DO experience. How can I prove on my application that I really prefer osteopathic over allopathic with out have exposure to it? Will this kill my chances of getting into a DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

tiffsatt,

I applied to DO schools without knowing much about DO schools. I talked to a couple DOs then shadowed one for two weeks. We talked a lot and she told me about Osteopathic medicine. She also wrote a letter of recommendation for me. You can do the same. Don't let this stop you from applying to DO schools

Just focus your essay and how you want to be a physician. I think the admission would rather you be honest about your goals in life instead of giving "canned" comments about why one wants to go to DO school. Then during the summer see if you can talk/shadow with a DO around you and ask for a recommendation letter from him/her (this will definitely help you). If you're really into it and want to find out about DO history then i recommend the book "DO in America". It's a pretty good book and if you come to NYCOM you'll have to read it here anyway.

Then hopefully by the time your interviews comes along, you'll be prepared as to why osteopathic medicine attracts you more than allopathic medicine. Trust me... the interviewer probably has heard it all ("I think osteopathic is more holistic yada yada...")

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck,

I'm from NC and we were the second to last state to fully license DOs. There are only 3 or 4 DOs in a 4 county radius and none in my particular county. My information about osteopathic medicine came mostly from the Internet, books and by calling DOs.

I contacted the NC Osteopathic Med Society and got a list of DOs who are willing to talk to premeds. After sending 6 letters, I was finally able to shadow a DO (about 70 miles away) for a day. This was an important step because he also wrote a very nice letter for me.

Spend this spring visiting a couple of DO schools and/or call up some admissions counselors. Get to know them and ask their advice - they can potentially be the ones to go to bat for you in the admissions process.

I would recommend that you get the book "The DOs" by Norman Gevitz and the OMT Review by Robert Savarese (both are available at Amazon). They will give you insight into osteopathic medicine.

Also, call the schools you're interested in and ask for phone numbers from a couple alumni who are in the field you're interested. They can give you great information about osteopathic medicine and that particular school.

With your personal statement...hire someone from your local newspaper to help you tidy it up and make it read better. I did, and ended up with a very strong essay. Be ready to change it little of hear and there, because nearly every secondary app will have you doing another essay. Do not send in an exact copy of your AACOMAS essay - personalize it to match each school's mission statement (just look at their web site to find out what it is).

Don't forget, you're a salesman for the next few months - and your product is you!

Email me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Phillip
AZCOM 2004

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited 05-07-2000).]

I think having the least amount of knowlege regarding D.O.'s and the osteopathic principles is always the best policy!
tongue.gif