Is DO school harder than MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose it silly to ask if DO school is harder than MD since almost no one has done both. I guess my real question is how hard is OMM? I mean DOs take and learn all the same classes that MD’s do but with the additional OMM. Whats going with this? Another question, how much harder is Med School (DO) than a full undergrad course.

Members don't see this ad.

discover said:
I suppose it silly to ask if DO school is harder than MD since almost no one has done both. I guess my real question is how hard is OMM? I mean DOs take and learn all the same classes that MD’s do but with the additional OMM. Whats going with this? Another question, how much harder is Med School (DO) than a full undergrad course.

Sorry. I mean to say Full course load undergrad semester

Difficult to answer since, as you pointed out, none have done both. I will say that OMM is not that difficult. However, you do get a grade and it does effect things like class rank so you must take it seriously. That being said it does require some time and effort to learn the material along with practice for practicals. Hence it increases the work load and takes time away from studying other traditional subjects. This includes studying for the boards as well. I would say that if you were to take a full course load (18 hours) in undergrad with at least 3 upper level lab sciences, and no blow off courses (I did this the semester I took the MCAT), that med school is still harder (meaning a little more work). I didn't find med school really that difficult, just ALOT of work. I could be wrong though because it seems like I can't remember that far back to undergrad. In terms of course work, second year of med school is brutal.

Members don't see this ad :)
but wait, we're not going to be real doctors, so DO schools must be a whole lot easier than the real medical schools.... ;):D;):D;):D

discover said:

I asked the same question a few weeks ago, check out this thread.

jonb12997 said:
but wait, we're not going to be real doctors, so DO schools must be a whole lot easier than the real medical schools.... ;):D;):D;):D

You're right! I don't even understand why we have take courses like biochemistry, and pharmacology, aren't we like chiropractors. ;)

Yes. It's supposed to be, since we learn everything they learn plus OMM. When people answer 'no', they mean that it is not significant.

Reactions: 1 user
med26 said:
Yes. It's supposed to be, since we learn everything they learn plus OMM. When people answer 'no', they mean that it is not significant.

Just because DOs learn OMM it doesn't mean it is harder or that DOs are better. So future DOs should stop saying it is harder or better. It is an alternative means to becoming a physician with slightly different philosophies. You will only be causing more devision among the two professions.

When DO Medical students learn OMM the MD student are learning something as well. In many good MD schools they may do research instead.

Amazing how I can give a simple answer and then have someone else come up with their own interpretation of it.

I agree with what docbill said. Also, just as some colleges are more difficult than others, there is a range of difficulty among medical schools (MD and DO). Some expect more depth of knowledge of certain subjects than others. In the end, board scores help level the playing field and provide a means of comparison.

med26 said:

Have you even set foot in an OMM lab yet?

I'm curious how hours in class stack up between DO and MD schools. I'm in class from 9am to 5pm some days with an hour off for lunch.

-J

DOctorJay said:
I'm curious how hours in class stack up between DO and MD schools. I'm in class from 9am to 5pm some days with an hour off for lunch.

-J

I am a DO student and I am never in class...thank God for PBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's be honest, the only reason you guys are in DO school is because you couldn't get into an MD program.

cdow18 said:
Let's be honest, the only reason you guys are in DO school is because you couldn't get into an MD program.

Why are you here?

Buck Strong said:
Heck no, Do school is no harder than MD schoo, while they're learning evidence based knowledge, and doing research, we're pretty much feeling each each other up, trying to explain how manipulation can solve our problems. Honestly, most of our DO students don't care about DO or OMM and want to apply to those damn allopathic residencies because we are the kids who couldn't get into MD schools. Check out Quackwatch.com. http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/QA/osteo.html

interesting

very interesting. Lots of good points.
The article was not much new, I liked the responces.

I actually took the first 2 years of med school at an MD program and at a DO program. Both were very difficult. I do think that the DO program I was at was excruciatingly more difficult. At CCOM, the first year is very grueling. But I did notice that the MD curriculum stressed little biochem details more, while at CCOM we did detail, but the overall picture and how it is important clinically was more important. This may be teaching "to the boards". The COMLEX is waaaay more clinical than the USMLE, whch focuses on biochem. I took both.

MaloCCOM said:
I actually took the first 2 years of med school at an MD program and at a DO program. Both were very difficult. I do think that the DO program I was at was excruciatingly more difficult. At CCOM, the first year is very grueling. But I did notice that the MD curriculum stressed little biochem details more, while at CCOM we did detail, but the overall picture and how it is important clinically was more important. This may be teaching "to the boards". The COMLEX is waaaay more clinical than the USMLE, whch focuses on biochem. I took both.

Hey Malo,

Howd you do your first two years at an MD school and then at a DO school? Did you transfer, or did you get an MD and are coming back to get your DO degree?

Hi everyone - I am a 4th year at KCOM.
I haven't gone to an MD school, so I can't really compare. I came to KCOM because I already lived in Kville and my husband had a great job and we didn't want to give up his salary - so, it's the only place I applied - luckily, I got in. (That's just for the individual who thinks we all apply to DO schools because we can't get into MD schools).....although it may be cheaper in the long run going to an MD school...the way tuition at DO schools is skyrocketing (but that's another story!!)......

Anyway - back on track....The most frustrating thing you'll find at DO schools (besides the workload, the annoying classmates, etc...) is the recurrent them of having a major exam on a certain day AND having an OMM practical that same day. It sucks. Unless you are really one of those people who keeps up with OMM, even though you've got biochem and histo exams coming up....you will find yourself putting off the OMM until the day or two before the practical. Then, when you really want to study the final things you need to study for the other exams...you remember that you need to brush up on the 7 Stages of Spencer or something for the OMM practical. Studying for a practical takes practice....Some people can go thru the motions and minimally pass a practical - depending on who is grading you. At our school, we never knew who would be overseeing our practicals, so you had to be prepared.

Also, we had one semester where -YES - people DID fail OMM. They had to re-take that quarter with the class behind us. It was kind of a shock because it wasn't just 1 person, it was 5-6 peopls....wierd...

Anyway, my point is that OMM does take a certain amount of time committment - which the MDs don't have. That doesn't mean DO school is harder - it just means you may have to manage your time a little better because of this extra entity we have.

discover said:

They are the same, on average. Meaning that overall, both are just about the same.

OSUdoc08 said:
They are the same, on average. Meaning that overall, both are just about the same.

I agree

bigbody said:
Hey Malo,

Howd you do your first two years at an MD school and then at a DO school? Did you transfer, or did you get an MD and are coming back to get your DO degree?

I was doing a post-bac program at an MD school. I had to take the first two years of med school classes with the MD students. It was very tough, but helped me out tremendously when I got into a DO program.

I am now dumber for reading 23 posts on this subject. My question to those that care is why does it matter? Are we in a pissing contest, so that when we are old farts we can talk about how hard it was.....
This is stupid.
stomper