Is EK Orgo Review enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've notice that EK Orgo is doesn't go over other types of reactions (i.e. Diels-Alder Rexn) which popped up in one of the AAMC exams (#5 I think). However, a few practice questions did pop up in the EK 1001 Q's regarding this rexn, but I guess they expected us to either use our knowledge or use another reference book. Luckily, I still remember the reaction since I took Orgo II just this past semester. Do you think their info from EK Review is enough?

Members don't see this ad.

RAD11 said:
I've notice that EK Orgo is doesn't go over other types of reactions (i.e. Diels-Alder Rexn) which popped up in one of the AAMC exams (#5 I think). However, a few practice questions did pop up in the EK 1001 Q's regarding this rexn, but I guess they expected us to either use our knowledge or use another reference book. Luckily, I still remember the reaction since I took Orgo II just this past semester. Do you think their info from EK Review is enough?
I am curious about this as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anyone complain that there was large amounts of content on the MCAT not touched on by EK.

Also, orgo makes up the smallest component of the MCAT. I can't imagine that they'd be able to dig too deep.

I remember doing the Diels-Alder in orgo lab. I don't really remember what it was. Off the top of my head, was it forming rings and/or aromatic rings?

WilliamsF1 said:
I remember doing the Diels-Alder in orgo lab. I don't really remember what it was. Off the top of my head, was it forming rings and/or aromatic rings?

Everything you would want to know about the reaction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diels-Alder_reaction

It's a pretty simple reaction, but sometimes it gets hard to visualize when the reactants are already rings and parts protrude outward from the main ring(s).

RAD11 said:

Bump for more info on the EK o-chem review. I was considering purchasing the EK O-chem book for a quick review. The book got mixed reviews from amazon users so any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I thought EK was a good review. They put more emphasis on understanding the functional groups and what they do rather than memorization of certain reactions. This helps because your mind is not flooded with all these random reactions; instead, you are able to rationalize your way through the reactions.

As for the reference to the Diels-Alder Reaction, by knowing the different functional groups involved (i.e. the double bonds, which are electron rich), you could sit there and picture the flow of the electrons. The outer double bonds are not super stable and that's why that reaction works.

I read through the Kaplan Big Book and did not like the Orgo section at all. To me it felt as though they threw reactions at you without any explanation of why it was happening so that makes it harder to remember it.

jamilla_w said:
Just starting my EK orgo review... what do the X's in structures mean?????

I'm not sure what you mean. I could only guess that the center of the X is a carbon and there are 4 substituents. Do you have a picture you could post?

jamilla_w said:
Just starting my EK orgo review... what do the X's in structures mean?????

An X is most often a halogen.

So, -C=C-X could be -C=C-Cl, -C=C-F, etc.

On the April MCAT i took, the Orgo representation was extremely superficial (only like 10 questions!) and EK was sufficient. Of course, I don't know if that was true for all forms.

It's funny but yes this little book is all you need. watch how the MCAT is covered on AAMC exams and that should give you confidence. MCAT orgo is oversimplified from what you generally learn in class. None of the other subjects are like this so it is weird.

The first 3 chapters are rather complete. Learn ALL of the flash cards as well!!

Don't neglect the lab stuff:

You will want to get a solubility chart. This is a common orgo procedure not covered well in the EK book. I got one from my pavia lab book.

You may want to go over tests(Tollens, permanganate,etc.). Got this info from ochem 1&2 lab material.

I think you should take a look at how they presented calculating degrees of freedom. For some reason I'm thinking that it was missing something.

memorize OH peaks and c=o peaks for IR

understand how to read NMR, coupling, and basic peaks like aromatic, methyl ketone,etc. NMR has been popping up on MCAT lately

EK Orgo is great but you should DEFINITELY go over various tests for compounds and solubility since EK does not cover these topics.

I was a C student in Orgo and was scoring around 85-90% on AAMC orgo according to e-mcat.com

some exams will have well over 50% orgo on BS so if you are weak on Orgo:

Eliminate your weaknesses!!

wow there is 50% orgo on some tests. I thought it was closer to 30%?

jsol said:
wow there is 50% orgo on some tests. I thought it was closer to 30%?

During the last few MCAT administrations there seems to be one test with 50% orgo and another wih 80% orgo. From the last 3 MCAT administrations it seemed the majority of the exams had around 10-30% orgo.

RAD11 said:

Well, I read EK orgo about 4 times now, and everytime I read it, I find something new that's just really helpful. I think the book is written meticuously (although I found some mistakes on pictoral representation) for the mcat. You would be fine if you understand 100 percent of the EK material. I highly recommend it.