Is endurance ever an issue on the step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone thinks they got a low score or thinks somebody they know got a low score because of bad endurance? Meaning they just got tired during the exam and couldn't concentrate during the last few blocks. Or does adrenaline pretty much make everybody go through?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure adrenaline played some part during my exam, especially since I took a lot fewer and shorter breaks than I'm used to. However, the biggest factor is the practice tests I took before the exam. Every practice session I took was a full 7-block session where I got up early, ate the same thing, followed the same routine, etc. It trained my body to become used to the process and the amount of energy required.

I think it can be an issue if you do not prepare for it. I know several folks that said they got tired after round 5 and they think it costs them. I built my stamina up by doing more and more questions and I took all my break time esp at the end. It helped me keep a clear head at least. And some of the hardest questions I got were in the last block.

I think that is a crucial part of taking the test. Being fresh so you can think. Because I sure as hell did not get anything close to a NBME or even UW. I would say half of my block was normal and then the other half was wtf.

Reactions: 1 user
I brought a newspaper and some coffee to my testing center.

Just treated it like a day at the office with a few coffee breaks thrown in and it wasn't too terrible. If you have a conscious plan about how you're going to approach the exam on your test date (I won't spend more than 2 minutes on a question, I'll give myself 5 minutes at the end of each section, give myself 5 minutes of break yadda yadda yadda) I think that goes a long ways towards offsetting the stress that may contribute towards fatigue.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing about coffee though is that you shouldn't do it if you are not used to it. In fact, exam day is NOT the day to try new stuff. I know that coffee is a phenomenal diuretic for me besides making me jittery which is why I would never start drinking coffee on exam day even to get going.