Is ether soluble in water?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I was under the impression that it isnt...it cant hydrogen bond, so I thought it wouldnt be miscible, yet the destroyer says it is.

Members don't see this ad.

it is slightly soluble, but ether used as solvent in many reactions because its very small reactivity

If I'm not mistaking ethers are soluble in water b/c the oxygen of ethers interact with the H on water to produce H-bonding making ether partially soluble in water...

Hope it Helps

For some reason, I was under the impression that it isnt...it cant hydrogen bond, so I thought it wouldnt be miscible, yet the destroyer says it is.

Ether is sparingly soluble in water at 6.9g/100. The low solubility makes the ether/water two phase mixture ideal for separation techniques.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ether is sparingly soluble in water at 6.9g/100. The low solubility makes the ether/water two phase mixture ideal for separation techniques.

isn't water polar..and so is ether!! thats why the destroyer has it like that..like dissolves like guys don't make it complicated!!! Now if solvent is nonpolar only a compound thats nonpolar can dissolve in it. hope this clears everything up!

Depends on the type of ether.

Diethyl ether is slightly soluble.

Tetrahydrofuran (oxacyclopentane) is fully soluble.

12-Crown-4 is soluble.

Dimethyl ether is not completely soluble in water.

As you can see, it depends on the ether.

I would know that THF is fully miscible in water. As are crown ethers.

Depends on the type of ether.
The common name for diethyl ether is ether.

If I'm not mistaking ethers are soluble in water b/c the oxygen of ethers interact with the H on water to produce H-bonding making ether partially soluble in water...
Hope it Helps

isn't water polar..and so is ether!! thats why the destroyer has it like that..like dissolves like guys don't make it complicated!!! Now if solvent is nonpolar only a compound thats nonpolar can dissolve in it. hope this clears everything up!

It is hard to tell what destroyer was trying to show. It could be that the person who wrote the section may not have had occasion to mix ether and water in the lab and see the two phase system.

The relative polarity of organic compounds is as follows:

amides> acids>alcohols>ketones>aldeydes>amines>esthers> ethers>alkanes

Ethers can form hydrogen bonding, and for this reason they show water solubilities similar to those of alcohols of the same molecular weight. Even with alcohols, the water solubility (miscibility) decreases as the molecular weight increases. The only monohydroxy alcohols that are infinitely soluble in water are methanol, ethanol, n-propyl, isopropyl and tert-butyl alcohol. Starting with 1-butanol the solubility decreases and is in the range of the solubility of ether (7.9 and 6.9g/100 respectively).

The common name for diethyl ether is ether.

It is hard to tell what destroyer was trying to show. It could be that the person who wrote the section may not have had occasion to mix ether and water in the lab and see the two phase system.

The relative polarity of organic compounds is as follows:

amides> acids>alcohols>ketones>aldeydes>amines>esthers> ethers>alkanes

Ethers can form hydrogen bonding, and for this reason they show water solubilities similar to those of alcohols of the same molecular weight. Even with alcohols, the water solubility (miscibility) decreases as the molecular weight increases. The only monohydroxy alcohols that are infinitely soluble in water are methanol, ethanol, n-propyl, isopropyl and tert-butyl alcohol. Starting with 1-butanol the solubility decreases and is in the range of the solubility of ether (7.9 and 6.9g/100 respectively).

How can ethers hydrogen bond? Et-O-Et? In order to hydrogen bond doesn't H have to be bonded to N,O,F?

I thought the person was referring to ethers in general. The destroyer doesn't say that ethers are soluble as a general guidline.

I think the OP is referring to a general chemistry problem that requires you to know that THF is miscible in water.

Just wanted to add, the Destroyer doesn't say that diethyl ether is completely soluble...nowhere in the book is that stated.

I'm sorry for the confusion...I wasnt talking about diethyl ether but rather THF. Thanks for the help!

I'm sorry for the confusion...I wasnt talking about diethyl ether but rather THF. Thanks for the help!

hehe, I thought so. Just know that THF is soluble. Most people think ethers are not fully miscible in water (b/c we use diethyl ether for extractions), but as you can see, it really depends. THF is one of those special cases....as are crown ethers!

Ether can be water soluble, it really depends on the number of carbons..More than 4 carbons are water insoluble, however with 4 carbons and under it is still possible for interaction such as h-bonding to take place since the carbons are not taking up to much space, think of the MO theory behind each atom and try to visualize how much space there is in between..just enough for both to interact and dissolve

Like dissolves like, but like he said <4 carbons it may :) dissolve
Ether can be water soluble, it really depends on the number of carbons..More than 4 carbons are water insoluble, however with 4 carbons and under it is still possible for interaction such as h-bonding to take place since the carbons are not taking up to much space, think of the MO theory behind each atom and try to visualize how much space there is in between..just enough for both to interact and dissolve

How can ethers hydrogen bond? Et-O-Et? In order to hydrogen bond doesn't H have to be bonded to N,O,F?

I thought the person was referring to ethers in general. The destroyer doesn't say that ethers are soluble as a general guidline.

I think the OP is referring to a general chemistry problem that requires you to know that THF is miscible in water.

The presence of non shared electrons is what makes hydrogen bonding possible. The oxygen of ethers have two pairs of non bonded electron pairs. In the case of N, hydrogen bonding is possible because of the presence of a lone pair of non bonded electron. And in case you are interested, quaternary ammonium compounds (salts) are soluble in water.

The presence of non shared electron is what makes hydrogen bonding possible. The oxygen of ethers have two pairs of non bonded electron pairs. In the case of N, hydrogen bonding is possible because of the presence of a lone pair of non bonded electron. And in case you are interested, quaternary ammonium compounds (salts) are soluble in water.

Oh ok, I was confused, I thought you meant it can hydrogen w/ itself. So, you're saying it can act as an acceptor. Ok.