Is evey P1 working????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cozypark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I am P1 student and have no pharmacy experience.
I think almost all of my classmates are working except me.
I am trying to get an intern job but it's not easy to get a job because there is no opening! even CVS!

Is every P1 working? seriously?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I am P1 student and have no pharmacy experience.
I think almost all of my classmates are working except me.
I am trying to get an intern job but it's not easy to get a job because there is no opening! even CVS!

Is every P1 working? seriously?

I'm sure as hell not working. ;) Definitely less stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't work my P1 year. (well, except a day or two over Xmas break) Most of my classmates did work though.

Screw working during the schoolyear unless you financially need to.

Some of my classmates (i'd say ~25%) are working scattered shifts or like a 5hr shift or two a week.

You think ah that doesn't seem bad, and it's not really but man when you're in class from 9-5 with 7 lectures and you have to leave the last lecture early cause you need to work from 5-10pm that must absolutely suck.

Let alone the fact supper is ruined and you have no time to catch up on all the lectures you did that day, all for 50 bucks or something? pfft.

And let's face it, not many pharmacy interns leave a retail shift thinking holy crap i'm so glad I got that shift in. I think a lot of people get hasseled into it by their employers, the company I worked for over the summer kept trying to persuade me to do some work with them during the schoolyear (Oh it'll help you apply what you learn), but they just want your signature on a contract when you graduate.

I'd much rather have that 5-10pm to get some food, relax, go to the gym and study for an hour or two. If you do my method, you'll end up saving money in the long run because you'll be at a less chance of developing disease.

How about working over the weekends during the school year? Did anybody do that?

I work about 20-25 hrs a week. I find it no big deal.

Most of the students at my school work (75) or party (25) along with school.

If you are good at time management, then there is time for everything.

I work in a hospital and I use things I learn in class at work and vice versa.

It is like a really big, long lab with pay!

I don't work very much. Maybe once a month or on the breaks if I feel like it. I worked one day over Christmas break. I just have other things I want/need to do.

Wow, I didn't know it's possible to be an intern and work just a few irregular hours at a time. So it's possible to work only over Christmas break? Which drugstores? How does this work? Thank you all for your input.

Wow, I didn't know it's possible to be an intern and work just a few irregular hours at a time. So it's possible to work only over Christmas break? Which drugstores? How does this work? Thank you all for your input.

I work for Walgreens. I signed up for their summer internship last summer and they allow us to stay around and work here and there during the school year. The first semester I worked regularly once a month. I'm not doing that now; just working whenever a store in the city where I go to school needs coverage in a bind. So I'm technically "on leave" but will fill in whenever I'm needed.

I'm curious as well. Do they have you down as being in an on-call basis?

I'm curious as well. Do they have you down as being in an on-call basis?

Yeah, I know different people in different stores. My cell phone number is on some lists, although there is no centrally published directory. Also, fellow students know that I'm a Wags person and will call me when they need someone to cover their shifts. If you are a hard worker, reliable and do a good job when you work somewhere, they'll remember you the next time they need some help.

I work for CVS, and my normal work while school is going on is one 4 hour shift per week. Then, they work with me on breaks. For example, I worked about 20 hours a week over Christmas, and a lot of that was helping to cover vacation for the full-time techs. My DM has already mentioned to me specifically that he will help me get whatever hours I need/want this summer. However, part of the reason this works is exactly what All4MyDaughter mentions - I was already employed by CVS prior to pharmacy school, and so I already knew some of the pharmacists, techs, and managers in the district.

I work at the hospital 4hrs every Tuesday and 8hrs every other weekend. I like it because I learn alot from work.I did not have much pharmacy experience hence I needed to get a job to familiarize myself with working at a pharmacy.

I'd say 50% of my classmates work as well. Some in non pharm jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
NO WAY! I am thoroughly enjoying not working my first year! :cool:

I work for Walgreens. I signed up for their summer internship last summer and they allow us to stay around and work here and there during the school year. The first semester I worked regularly once a month. I'm not doing that now; just working whenever a store in the city where I go to school needs coverage in a bind. So I'm technically "on leave" but will fill in whenever I'm needed.

how soon do you need to let ur store know that you will not be working for them once school starts? do you have to call up the pharmacies next to ur school and ask if they need help or does your DM/pharmacy manager do that for you?

I'm pretty sure I can land a job there too, as I am now floating to help another store as well.

Instead of going to lecture, work 30 hours a week. You'll be less bored from people reading you powerpoints and have a **** ton of money.

I work 10-15 hours a week, it's really not a big deal. Because if I do need time off to study for 5 tests in one week I can usually get it off.

I like having the money, and the experience is a lot more practically useful at this point than any of my classes are

I work around 32 hrs/week as a cytologist at the hospital. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I go in at 5am and am home by 2pm to do school (I am doing Creighton's Distance program). I am off every-other day then to stay up late and listen to lectures, etc. I have two toddlers as well and my husband and I work opposite shifts, so you see, it can be done!

Many people work in pharmacies in my school. Personally, I don't work, not because of that I don't want to but because I dont have a car yet. I think in general working between 8 to 12 hours/wk is good enough. In term of financial support, I don't think working 10 more hours would really make a big impact in one's life. And the whole purpose of working is just trying to retain what you learned in class so far in a practical setting and gain more experiences. But one can definitely manage w/o working during the semester and I am sure there are other great things in which they will also help you, i.e. getting involved w/ some organizations, apply some fellowships or just relax, play some basketball, hehe.

Working while you're in pharmacy school certainly gives you insight with respect to how pharmacy is actually practiced (regardless of the setting). If for some reason you are unable to find some type of employment, don't worry. During your rotations you will get the necessary exposure. At our pharmacy we have one tech that is currently in pharmacy school. She only works about 6 to 8 hours per week. I think she does it more for the exposure than for the money. When I was in pharmacy school a lot of us worked, however I feel it is safe to say that pharmacy ciriculum of today is a lot more rigerous than it was 15 years ago.

I will be working on average 4 hrs a week while in pharmacy school. This is because my employer promises a $3,000 scholarship every year I'm in pharmacy school with no obligation to stay with them after I graduate. Also, the pay ain't paid and while 4 hrs is not much, hopefully in my later pharm school years I'll be able to work more.

I will be working on average 4 hrs a week while in pharmacy school. This is because my employer promises a $3,000 scholarship every year I'm in pharmacy school with no obligation to stay with them after I graduate. Also, the pay ain't paid and while 4 hrs is not much, hopefully in my later pharm school years I'll be able to work more.

who do you work for? I thought the average was $1K per year that can only be forgiven if you stay with them a year per $1K you borrow from them.

Looks like I am going to be applying to tech at target this summer before pharm school. How did you go about getting this scholarship? Essays, pharmacy manager recommendations?

Looks like I am going to be applying to tech at target this summer before pharm school. How did you go about getting this scholarship? Essays, pharmacy manager recommendations?

Haha, totally!!! I've worked there for over a year and they just offered it to me. I don't know how I got it, I think you just do if you've worked there long enough and you have the status of a pharmacy technician. I love working at Target. If I decide on retail, I'll definitely work at a Target.

Alot of my classmates work at the local CVS their first year and right now its our second year and they're still working. I think they're doing it not for the money but to get hours to fullfill their internship. My particular school grants 1500 hours total after completing their curriculum, and that leaves 500 left after you graduate, so if you could squeeze in some of those hours during school...you wouldn't have to worry about them after graduating. For me personally I'm not working as I spend all my time studying.