Is excess research experience what is keeping me without MD-only acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SticknRudder

Throttle Up Baby!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the story: Through college, I dabbled in lots of things science related and ultimately decided (after 3 years doing research as an undergrad) that research by itself was not for me: mainly because of the extreme disparity between effort out to emotional satisfaction in (i.e. 1 year of experiments for 1 happy moment). So, I decided to apply for medical school, which I always found an exciting opportunity with great challenges and diverse career potential.

With that said, I also found that doing research was very helpful in filling in the gaps that were glossed over in the textbook-only arena.

So, I decide to take a year off and apply during that year while taking some fun classes and also continuing research (which I start to really enjoy because I changed emphasis from insect biochemistry to pediatric nephrology). 2 publications later, and a couple more in the hopper, I am in the middle of the application process.

My EC's as an undergrad consisted of 2 years of volunteering at a Boys and Girls club (award for Volunteer of the Year), 1.5 years of hospice volunteering, and other small stuff like clubs, etc.

I applied to a broad range of schools - most which allowed for some sort of research emphasized MD, thinking that I could continue research if I so desired (which I did and still do). I interviewed at 5 schools: State school, Columbia, Cornell, Wash U, and Tufts.

I thought I was golden. My last interview was in November.

Fast forward to today: 3 rejections, and still waiting on WashU and Tufts.

So I ask: Did emphasis on research in my application (in terms of my most significant undergrad experience) hurt me? I only ask because I can't find any other flaw in my application.

I don't think numbers (GPA/MCAT) were the problem otherwise I would have been screened out for interview.

Couldn't have been lack of research or significant ECs.

The only other possibility that I can grasp is that my ommition of a LOR from my hospice coordinator hurt me (the coordinator I worked the most time with up and quit without even telling any of the volunteers. Her replacement was a great guy, but didn't feel comfortable asking him for a LOR on 1 month's notice).

HELP! Should I have applied MD/PhD if I knew in my hearts of hearts that I wanted to continue research, on some level, in the future?? I didn't because I thought the plain MD afforded me the same opportunity....

I'm getting the feeling that a reapplication is coming soon so I really would appreciate some advice.

Thanks All!

Members don't see this ad.

MD-only admissions is a crap shoot--moreso than MD/PhD admissions in my opinion. Frankly, you didn't apply to enough schools and unfortunately, it backfired in your case. I would say your application sounds reasonably strong, and barring anything like a bad LOR or interviews, you should try applying MD-only again next year to more like a dozen or more schools.

Depending on your numbers, you may have had more success applying MD/PhD. This can be the case for the research-heavy applicant. Even if you do reapply as MD/PhD, I'd strongly suggest applying to more schools.

As for what adcoms are thinking... Who knows sometimes. I could try to speculate, but it would be just as random as their speculations I think. In any case, too much research never hurts, it's just not as important to the MD-only adcom. I figure they look at it as just another strong EC, and when you have so many EC loaded pre-meds, it's hard to choose between them.

Good luck with your reminaing schools! Maybe it will still happen for you this year...

Thanks for the thoughts. It's always nice to have unbiased input.

I think it did definatley hurt me not to apply to more schools. I think I will pick a few MD/PhD programs to apply to and cast a really wide net for applications to MD-only schools.

Originally posted by mcbatuofa
So here's the story: Through college, I dabbled in lots of things science related and ultimately decided (after 3 years doing research as an undergrad) that research by itself was not for me: mainly because of the extreme disparity between effort out to emotional satisfaction in (i.e. 1 year of experiments for 1 happy moment). So, I decided to apply for medical school, which I always found an exciting opportunity with great challenges and diverse career potential.

I thought I was golden. My last interview was in November.

Fast forward to today: 3 rejections, and still waiting on WashU and Tufts.

So I ask: Did emphasis on research in my application (in terms of my most significant undergrad experience) hurt me? I only ask because I can't find any other flaw in my application.

I
HELP! Should I have applied MD/PhD if I knew in my hearts of hearts that I wanted to continue research, on some level, in the future?? I didn't because I thought the plain MD afforded me the same opportunity....

Thanks All!

I'm in that same situtation..I feel your pain...+pissed+

Always next year.