Is FA enough for pharm & biochem?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shegt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that FA is enough for pharm & biochem , i was wondering if thats true & if all you guys who have taken exam feel the same? Please advise as to how to crack pharm & biochem. Im just reading FA right now. Thanx......

Members don't see this ad.

i *hear* the same about micro . . . hope they are right because i left by MMRS back at school . . .

Pharm: Yes for mine, but I've heard of people taking tests with crazy side effects to obscure drugs. But that's not every test.

Biochem: The topics in FA are sufficient, but I liked still having a biochem book to look up pathways in because I didn't think the ones in FA were all that great. And I did have a question drawing out a pathway and asking what enzyme is responsible for this conversion. It was one of the major ones in FA, but having seen the pathway before helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and yes. The biochem in FA is pretty detailed, but you might want to have a textbook available to look things up if you feel the need. I had some biochem questions on UW that were not covered in FA, but everything on the real exam seemed to be covered in FA. I had more questions on named disorders (glycogen storage, lysosome) rather than pathways on my exam, but it's probably important to know both.

The biochem on my test was really whacked out and crazy detailed. Definitely a few levels above what was in FA.

Pharm for me was insanely easy, but I also studied my pharm class notes.

Phys had a lot more stuff than FA.

Yes for pharm. For biochem, I found it useful to annotate First Aid with another book --- I felt like FA wasn't detailed enough.

Yes for pharm. For biochem, I found it useful to annotate First Aid with another book --- I felt like FA wasn't detailed enough.

yea i second that. FA had all the information you had to know. The only problem is that the FA biochem is written so bare bones that you have to annotate it with another source (I used RR biochem and lippincotts) to make any sense of it. This is also true basically for the rest of FA as well, except pharm.

i *hear* the same about micro . . . hope they are right because i left by MMRS back at school . . .

Come on - we know you LOOOOOVE that book so much!

To the OP:
For biochem I had a lot of vitamin/cofactor questions. Goljan's Rapid Review is $$$$$ for these, I would say FA is not quite adequate.

For pharm - I think FA was plenty.

Good luck!

true at least in my case although i think i got a few biochem wrong...that wasnt in FA..but for the most part FA got u covered

I heard that FA is enough for pharm & biochem , i was wondering if thats true & if all you guys who have taken exam feel the same? Please advise as to how to crack pharm & biochem. Im just reading FA right now. Thanx......

Yes except it needs to be annoted w/mechanisms that arent mentioned. My exam asked me a similar quesiton to the mechanism of Prosglitazone and the only reason I knew it was because of class, world, and pharm cards.

Plus, the second on autnomics, while complete, really requires practice in terms of comparing effects and reading charts.

In terms of SE's, first aid was waaaaaaaay more than enough.

It's fine for those subjects so long so you also heavilly use one of the question banks -- there are a handful of drug side effects and pathways that are more heavilly tested, that you would probably get from Qbank/world but not just from reading the scant references in FA.