Is family practice really that horrible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crappinatbernie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I posted a similar post in the derm forum.

I had gone into medical school with every intention of practicing FP. Through the years every doc I talk to insists I change my specialty. It's always the same song: You work too much for too little pay. Constant after hour calls.

Well, I let them go in one ear and out the other. I've already got a residency spot in FP. Now, a doctor who is very important to me on a personal level sat me down and told me she insist I go into my only other interest, derm. She said she can't live with herself unless she voices her opinion. This really struck a cord and made me second guess myself.

So......can I get some opinions?

Is FP really that bad?

Are there even any derm interviews left?

I've got great grades, test scores and LOR's, but I had never really set myself up to consider this option.

Basically, is there a chance in hell of me getting a spot?

Some docs tell me the crunch is worth the chance.

Please help me set my mind straight.

Members don't see this ad.

Stick to what you'll be happiest with. In my opinion, I see FP as an excellent choice as I am considering it as well in the near future. Mind you the salaries quoted are usually for 4 day work weeks with less than 40 hrs/week. Also, don't forget many women who are part timers that bring down the stats.

FP is not bad! Congratulations on all your achievements thus far and work harder to become the best FP you can.

how do you already have a spot in fp? isn't the match not coming up for a few months?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got good grades you pretty much will get any spot you want in FM.

(Start calling it FM instead of FP, heh.)

Honestly, the reason FM is looked down upon is that FM (back in the days when it was called FP) just did not want to be part of the ivory tower of academia. We are finally seeing that change slowly but surely... the first two steps in that direction were a) changing the name from Family Practice to Family Medicine b) Requiring research for all residents to graduate.

You might say, how is that good? Both steps are critical in evolving the specialty. No research = no advancements and then it becomes a 'practice' instead of a medical specialty.

Ask yourself, would they have criticized you as much if you went into pediatrics? The average pediatrician makes less than the average FM so it's not a money issue. It's because pediatrics has already established itself as a specialty in the academia and FM tried to stay in the rural society without being involved in the universities... a big mistake that I feel is under correction.

Please help me set my mind straight.

Stick to the derm forum.

Edit: To clarify, if you're committed to a certain specialty, you shouldn't necessarily expect to be happy in another field. If you really want to be a dermatologist, it would be a mistake to think you'd be happy in family medicine. If you really want to be a family physician, you probably won't be happy as a dermatologist, either.

Your post makes it sound like you want to do family medicine, but you might want to examine the depth of your commitment if you're letting the opinion of a single individual affect your career decision.

That would be Sophie..

Anyhow....

We, here at the Family Medicine officially now remove our face of 'happiness' towards new applicants and here by declare.... all ya of waivering decisions and faith in the path of Family Medicine.... SHOULD GO TO DERM AND RADIOLOGY. (so less supply of family docs are around and the demand goes up and the so does the income as a result.)

So sayeth Faebinder, the Sith Champion.
icon_emporerslightning.gif

We, here at the Family Medicine officially now remove our face of 'happiness' towards new applicants and here by declare.... all ya of waivering decisions and faith in the path of Family Medicine.... SHOULD GO TO DERM AND RADIOLOGY.

I wouldn't necessarily say that.

Personally, I never tell anyone what field they should go into. That's their business. I'd be happy to tell them why I personally enjoy being a family physician. If they conclude that family medicine is for them, that's fine. If not, that's fine too.

I wouldn't necessarily say that.

Personally, I never tell anyone what field they should go into. That's their business. I'd be happy to tell them why I personally enjoy being a family physician. If they conclude that family medicine if for them, that's fine. If not, that's fine too.

Blasphemy!!!

I find your lack of faith, disturbing....
fight.gif

I sense much fear in you.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

yoda.gif

*Radiology.

This is the last time you have crossed me Master Kento-Yoda!
maul.gif

*Family Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what YOU want to do. You're not in Junior High anymore. Who cares what others think of your chosen specialty?????

No, Kent was one of the first "advisors", in what was going to be a paradigm shift. This was before Sophie got her 'advisorship'.

Lee is pretty busy running SDN these days, so he asked me to take over as the FM Forum Mod. SophieJane and RuralMedicine are the two remaining FM Forum Advisors. We all basically do the same thing. I'm just here with my Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle in case any varmints come sniffin' around. ;)

christmas_story_c.jpg

Lee is pretty busy running SDN these days, so he asked me to take over as the FM Forum Mod. SophieJane and RuralMedicine are the two remaining FM Forum Advisors. We all basically do the same thing. I'm just here with my Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle in case any varmints come sniffin' around. ;)

christmas_story_c.jpg

Sorry, "Old Blue" - I must be high on dope.

christmas_story_c.jpg

Most importantly, does it have the compass in the stock?

You'll mod your eye out kid!

Anyone having even the slightest doubt about FM should run screaming to Derm, Rads, EM, etc.etc......AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

And whatever you do, NEVER consider Rural Medicine. It completely sucks, you don't make any money, and it's totally boring all the time.

;)

(Remember, folks....supply and demand? Let's not try to sell it too hard, shall we??!)

1st of all I'm $#ssed off because I can't figure out how to use those smiley faces on the website Faebinder referenced and 2nd of all we need a nation wide medical student conference on "Why family Medicine Doesn't Suck!" Now, if you went to a private college, private medical school, and drive a BMW (not purchased by your parents), then it may be hard to pay back loans if you go into family medicine. Otherwise it's not hard at all. If you love family medicine, then don't let other people sway you or the perceived lack of income sway you. I originally went into emergency medicine for some of these wrong reasons (lifestyle, money, lack of a pager :) , etc) only to find that I really didn't like it and should have gone with my gut and applied to family medicine. But instead I went to Akron, started emergency medicine, purchased a house and 8 months later realized I made a mistake. So then I had to sell my house (losing $8,000) and moved back to Toledo for family medicine. To pay off the 8k, I had to put it on a credit card, acumulated lots of interest and now have to use half of my signing bonus to pay it off. Can you sense the frustration here :mad: . Anyways I'm much happier now and wish I would have followed my heart to begin with. If you love what you do, the money will come. Not as much as cardiology, vascular surgery, etc., but who wants that lifestyle. And yes Derm. has a great lifestyle and great money. If that's your thing and you have the grades, more power to you.

Dean

I'm $#ssed off because I can't figure out how to use those smiley faces on the website Faebinder referenced

You have to put them into your posts as images. Click here for more info on using the tag.

[quote]If you love what you do, the money will come.[/QUOTE]

And even if it didn't...you'd still love what you do. :)

And even if it didn't...you'd still love what you do. :)[/QUOTE]

True.

I've reopened this thread. One of the former participants turned out to be a recidivist troll. Their posts (and our replies) have been removed.

Feel free to continue the discussion. :)

Kent, I'd be interested to hear why you love FM, as you mentioned above. If you've already written about it, can you direct me to one of your posts? I enjoyed OB/Gyn and surgery in small doses (<2 hours per), so I'm thinking family with some of both. I'm a bit worried that I'd end up bored with colds/DM/HTN all day long. Have you struggled with that? Is there much room to kind of subspecialize and do more outpatient procedures if that's your bag? Thanks!

I'd like to hear about boredom as well...I'm sure it exists in every specialty, but I imagine those of us in primary care may be lulled into it more frequently...or maybe not?

Kent, I'd be interested to hear why you love FM, as you mentioned above. If you've already written about it, can you direct me to one of your posts?

This one pretty much sums it up: http://donors.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3936662&postcount=6

I'm a bit worried that I'd end up bored with colds/DM/HTN all day long. Have you struggled with that?

Not really. I've had five years to "train" my patients that they don't need antibiotics if they only have viral URI symptoms. That's the advantage of continuity, and what separates primary care from urgent care.

Heart disease claims more lives in this country than anything else. By aggressively identifying and treating cardiovascular comorbidities (DM and HTN are key risk factors), you're literally saving peoples' lives...you're just not waiting until the last minute. ;)

Boredom? Family physicians have more potential variety in their day than any other specialty. A specialty of breadth isn't for everyone, but it's certainly not boring.

Is there much room to kind of subspecialize and do more outpatient procedures if that's your bag?

Absolutely. For that reason, it's hard to find two FPs who have identical practices.

crappinatbernie
Let me answer the original question with my opinion- for its worth, not much at this point. There is plenty of oppurtunity to do tons of derm in FP. where do you think all the referrals com from. Lots of acne, weird rashes, and skin ca(especially in the sunny states). Just do a few electives in derm during your residency and your set. Plus once in awhile you can do something besides give the same 2 meds and bx another skin lesion.

Also if you decide later to just do derm, that is easily accesible. Know an FP that did that.

crappinatbernie
Let me answer the original question with my opinion- for its worth, not much at this point. There is plenty of oppurtunity to do tons of derm in FP. where do you think all the referrals com from. Lots of acne, weird rashes, and skin ca(especially in the sunny states). Just do a few electives in derm during your residency and your set. Plus once in awhile you can do something besides give the same 2 meds and bx another skin lesion.

Also if you decide later to just do derm, that is easily accesible. Know an FP that did that.

i also know an FP who runs a derm clinic. he's not bored certified in derm, but he does it anyway.

i recently googled "family medicine botox" and there's at least one FP firm that offers cosmetic services. If there are more procedures that allow any doctor to perform them, fp's will be stealing more business from the other specialties.