Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question directed towards those who are either finishing up their PRS training or in practice.
One of the things that draws me to PRS is the breadth of surgery-- cosmetic, recon, hand, face, etc. I have heard, however, that more and more hospitals/institutes are requiring micro fellowships to do things like breast recon and free flaps, which would seem to fall under the general scope of a PRS residency. Hand seems more obvious, but to the contrary, I've heard you actually don't need a fellowship to take hand call in some places including academic institutes...
Of course, all of this is second hand info from other residents considering doing an independent PRS residency so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inaccurate picture. Anyone care to share their experiences job hunting or as a practicing plastic surgeon?
One of the things that draws me to PRS is the breadth of surgery-- cosmetic, recon, hand, face, etc. I have heard, however, that more and more hospitals/institutes are requiring micro fellowships to do things like breast recon and free flaps, which would seem to fall under the general scope of a PRS residency. Hand seems more obvious, but to the contrary, I've heard you actually don't need a fellowship to take hand call in some places including academic institutes...
Of course, all of this is second hand info from other residents considering doing an independent PRS residency so I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inaccurate picture. Anyone care to share their experiences job hunting or as a practicing plastic surgeon?