Is fibromyalgia a psychosomatic illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are real alright and the dynamic interaction between the head and the gut and the bacteria that live there is quite fascinating. At this point in time, treating the psychological component has been demonstrated to be most effective. The degree to which the patient is able to understand that and actively cope with that aspect as opposed to continue medical tests, procedures, and medications to try and fix it or the degree to which there is secondary gain such as disability is very predictive of outcome. It definitely isn't black and white although the patients with that type of thinking also seem to struggle more.

Speaking of something like IBS and dynamic interaction between head and gut+bacteria, I've always found it interesting that so many patients with eating disorders end up diagnosed with IBS. It makes me wonder if it's more a mechanical/physical thing at play, or if it's more psychological, or a combination of both. I can understand IBS, or IBS type symptoms occurring in someone when they're still actively disordered, but it seems a little odd to me that it seems to so often persist even after someone has been stable in recovery for a number of years.

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of something like IBS and dynamic interaction between head and gut+bacteria, I've always found it interesting that so many patients with eating disorders end up diagnosed with IBS. It makes me wonder if it's more a mechanical/physical thing at play, or if it's more psychological, or a combination of both. I can understand IBS, or IBS type symptoms occurring in someone when they're still actively disordered, but it seems a little odd to me that it seems to so often persist even after someone has been stable in recovery for a number of years.
Interestingly enough, I just had a gut problem myself. No history of prior problems. Thinking of diverticulitis, colitis of unknown etiology, constipation of unknown etiology, colon cancer, and who knows what else. This was going on for about a month. Abdominal x-ray revealed Femoral Acetobulbular Impingement. Three days of stretching exercises, being more aware of how I am sitting and everything is almost back to normal. The cause? Most likely this:
male-psychologist-being-ready-to-take-notes-sitting-couch-31680668.jpg

Spending 8 hours a day sitting on my butt. It's a workplace injury! Maybe I should go on disability. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Interestingly enough, I just had a gut problem myself. No history of prior problems. Thinking of diverticulitis, colitis of unknown etiology, constipation of unknown etiology, colon cancer, and who knows what else. This was going on for about a month. Abdominal x-ray revealed Femoral Acetobulbular Impingement. Three days of stretching exercises, being more aware of how I am sitting and everything is almost back to normal. The cause? Most likely this:
male-psychologist-being-ready-to-take-notes-sitting-couch-31680668.jpg

Spending 8 hours a day sitting on my butt. It's a workplace injury! Maybe I should go on disability. :D

I think I'd develop stomach problems myself if my therapist looked like that. Seriously, that dude looks like he's gone past way seductive and headed straight into creepy mofo territory. o_O

And yes, yes you should absolutely go on disability, and get your workplace to redo the entire building lay out as well (might I suggest a rabbit warren type lay out, it definitely seemed to increase people's exercise levels at my old clinic, what with all the repeated waving of electronic access cards, and frantic pacing, and mutterings of curse words as everyone tried to figure out which rooms were actually available, and FFS how many different turns and corridors do you need anyway! :rage:).

:p

Reactions: 1 user