Is Financial Aid enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on undergrad degree, trying to bring up my gpa to apply to med school. That is still a few years away, but I am trying to plan this the best I can because I have somewhat of a different situation. I am married, and we have 2 kids. My wife is unable to work due to her immigration status, we are waiting for her work permit to be approved, but that could take years. I am just wondering how some of you guys who have families and attend medical school make ends meet. Does financial aid cover any basic living expenses? Is there housing for students with families? I've read on many forums that it is best if you do not work, but I would be the only one able to....please help! Thank you to all of you who provide much needed information to the rest of us trying to reach our goals! God Bless You!

Members don't see this ad.

The "expenses" portion of financial aid for me will provide about $20K a year to buy books and supplies and also pay living expenses. It's possible to extend the budget for childcare expenses (daycare, preschool), but that probably wouldn't help if your wife is at home. So it could provide a subsistence-level existence for a family of four but not much more. You probably would qualify for state aid with regard to food and health insurance for the kids.