Is FMS worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTMattI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a third year DPT student and I am considering attending an FMS combo course (level 1 and level 2) in October during my 2nd internship. I am very interested in orthopedics and it is a field I see myself practicing in once I graduate.

My question for anyone out there who has taken FMS cert is: Do you think its worth it? Has it helped you with your patient population? What were your thoughts on the course? I only ask because the course isnt cheap and I want to hear what PTs opinions on the course are.

I am also considering taking the SFMA course at a later time (sometime after graduation and boards) and it seems to me it would be wise to do the FMS first. I have already read Cook`s "Movement" book but I am more of a hands on learner.

Members don't see this ad.

I did FMS as a home-study course. That's also an option for you to look at and it's MUCH cheaper. I wanted to take the combo course as well, but it was cost-prohibitive for me. Since I was a graduate student when I did the home-study course, I got 30% off. But that's the Level 1 only.

I also want to do the SFMA eventually..

I'm not real sure how the FMS is applicable to PT patient populations. In my opinion the FMS isn't a good assessment tool to begin with. Some athletes have a hard enough time with the movements, so non-athletes and weekend warriors will probably fail miserably on most of the tests. It may save you some money to just assume they need work globally, and go from there. FMS doesn't tell you anything.