is getting the MS (Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences) worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlwaysContrary

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,


My schools offers a dual degree program where we can get the MS (my school calls it the MSPS) with many different tracts depending on what we want to do. My question is if it is really worth it to pursue the degree along with the PharmD

I'm pretty dead set about going into oncology and I wouldn't mind about doing research in that area as well as either a student or once I'm licensed. I can, however, just do research with one of my professors that focuses in that area on the side without doing the degree. What do you guys think?

Also, do dual degress really help all that much with residency?

Thanks!
 
Look at the cost vs. benefit. How much is the MSPS costing?

What year are you and what's your gpa? You doing extracurricular activities, leadership positions, volunteering, etc. all that bullchit that residencies want you to do? That's the stuff you really need.
 
Look at the cost vs. benefit. How much is the MSPS costing?

What year are you and what's your gpa? You doing extracurricular activities, leadership positions, volunteering, etc. all that bullchit that residencies want you to do? That's the stuff you really need.


MSPS will be free
GPA is a 3.6
I do participate in extracurricular activity. my favorite being a program where I teach about prescription drug abuse and stuff.
Volunteer about every week (built into the curriculum at my school)
Unfortunately no leadership positions but plan on changing that this year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MSPS will be free
GPA is a 3.6
I do participate in extracurricular activity. my favorite being a program where I teach about prescription drug abuse and stuff.
Volunteer about every week (built into the curriculum at my school)
Unfortunately no leadership positions but plan on changing that this year.

Interesting.

How is it free, using your electives towards it? Typically there are still extra hours you end up paying for... the one my school offered ends up being ~20k extra. Just curious about your school.
 
If it's truly free and doesn't significantly detract from your ability to get intern/work experience, why not? Just know it probably won't move the needle very much in terms of employment down the road.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Interesting.

How is it free, using your electives towards it? Typically there are still extra hours you end up paying for... the one my school offered ends up being ~20k extra. Just curious about your school.

The electives are used towards it. At my school, all the dual degrees are free aside from the MBA for whatever reason.
 
Given it's free, main questions are: what curriculum does the degree entail, what are the different tracks offered, what's the time investment and will that help you reach your specific oncology goals?
 
If it doesn't cost anything additional, and you can handle the workload, I'd say go for it. I've seen other schools push miscellaneous MS degrees onto pharmacy students at a cost of $40k+ extra...