Is GI really this comtetitive?

Started by dradams
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dradams

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting med school this August and am interested in eventually doing GI. I spoke with a PD (sort of friend of the family) of a GI fellowship program. He told me that it has gotten incredibly competitive these days. He said his program received 400 applications for 2 GI spots this year! 😱 That seems crazy. Is it really that competitive? What does it take to get a GI fellowship these days?
 
dradams said:
I am starting med school this August and am interested in eventually doing GI. I spoke with a PD (sort of friend of the family) of a GI fellowship program. He told me that it has gotten incredibly competitive these days. He said his program received 400 applications for 2 GI spots this year! 😱 That seems crazy. Is it really that competitive? What does it take to get a GI fellowship these days?

Yes, it really is that competitive. But in five+ years when you would be applying, it may not be. Take your time and explore other areas of medicine too.
 
What are you worried about? You already have the most important variable covered- you are family friends with the PD 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is true that these things change over time. Maybe it will be less competitive when I apply.
 
DrDre' said:
What are you worried about? You already have the most important variable covered- you are family friends with the PD 🙂

Do you really think it is more about who you know when applying for a fellowship?