Is GPA boost worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgb12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for my second time after an unsuccessful cycle for 2017-2018. I am wondering if it is worth it for me to cram 2-4 extra science classes during the first summer term (May 13-June 21) in order to boost my science GPA and post-bac GPA? This means that my grades, and GPA boost, would not be available until after I submit my primary. I will have retaken my MCAT before the start of these classes. I also have already taken 3 other science class post-bac last summer as well. I was told I should at least raise my science GPA to 3.6 in order to be competitive.

*As a note, I have already taken the MCAT twice in summer of 2017 (one month in between) and got the same score of 506. I know this was not a good idea. But I am planning on taking it for a third and final time early May. Thanks!

Here are my stats:

2017-2018 (1st app cycle): cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.44
post-bac GPA: 2.25 (took one Biochem class and got a C)

Current stats after taking 3 extra science classes already: sGPA: 3.524
post-bac GPA: 3.596

IF I take 3 extra science classes this summer semester: sGPA: 3.58
post-bac GPA: 3.76
IF I take 4 extra science classes this summer semester: sGPA: 3.596
post-bac GPA: 3.79

Members don't see this ad.

Okay first, i wouldn't take the mcat again bc if you get a score that's not statistically significantly higher (like 8-10 points) schools might just go ahead and close your app REGARDLESS of your gpa. Taking an MCAT three times is not the best idea, but its even worse if you are not improving bc it shows your lack of preparation.

Youre good for any DO i think so definitely apply to those too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I would apply and brush up on some ECs if you need them. Your GPA and MCAT should be able to get you some interviews. Taking more classes and retaking the MCAT is just a waste of time and money and can be spent prepping for the application cycle.

I am applying for my second time after an unsuccessful cycle for 2017-2018. I am wondering if it is worth it for me to cram 2-4 extra science classes during the first summer term (May 13-June 21) in order to boost my science GPA and post-bac GPA? This means that my grades, and GPA boost, would not be available until after I submit my primary. I will have retaken my MCAT before the start of these classes. I also have already taken 3 other science class post-bac last summer as well. I was told I should at least raise my science GPA to 3.6 in order to be competitive.

*As a note, I have already taken the MCAT twice in summer of 2017 (one month in between) and got the same score of 506. I know this was not a good idea. But I am planning on taking it for a third and final time early May. Thanks!

Here are my stats:

Did you not apply do?

I would definitely take more science classes over doing anything else. Do not retake the MCAT unless you are consistently scoring significantly higher.

You should get some love from DO schools with your stats. You don't seem competitive for MD, apart from maybe your state schools depending on your location.

Here are my stats:

You are in a very odd spot. Seemingly a jack of all trades, with all your numbers teetering near but not at the top of the bell curve. With the right resume, you could do DO. How are your ECs and clinical experience? I would not retake the MCAT a third time unless you have data that you are going to likely score several points higher.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors