Is GPA calculation different in Osteopathic medical schools for admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gore2561

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for repeating the question. I think I posted my question in a wrong thread.
I know that medical schools calculate GPA's from all institutions someone has attended including courses more than 15 years old. However, one of the osteopathic medical schools' GPA requirement says, "A minimum science and cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Note: The chances for admission for a candidate with minimal grades are limited. Admission would require outstanding achievement on the part of the candidate during their career or unique individual circumstances. Preference will be given to candidates with a science and cumulative GPA of 3.40 or higher. On average, candidates admitted to colleges of osteopathic medicine each of the past three years have GPAs > 3.4."
*Does that mean they consider mostly the last three years of college courses and GPA?
*Is it like a second chance although you have bad college grades from years ago?

Members don't see this ad.

It will depend upont he school. As a rule of thumb, we look at the total numbers, but cut you slack if there's a rising trend in your GPA. We recognize that not everyone is ready for college at age 18.

*Does that mean they consider mostly the last three years of college courses and GPA?

If you show great performacne most recently, you're showing that the you of now is different from the you of 15 years ago. So, yes.

*Is it like a second chance although you have bad college grades from years ago?

Sorry for repeating the question. I think I posted my question in a wrong thread.
I know that medical schools calculate GPA's from all institutions someone has attended including courses more than 15 years old. However, one of the osteopathic medical schools' GPA requirement says, "A minimum science and cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Note: The chances for admission for a candidate with minimal grades are limited. Admission would require outstanding achievement on the part of the candidate during their career or unique individual circumstances. Preference will be given to candidates with a science and cumulative GPA of 3.40 or higher. On average, candidates admitted to colleges of osteopathic medicine each of the past three years have GPAs > 3.4."

I believe you are misunderstanding this statement. It means that the average GPA for the last 3 years of entering DO students has been >3.4. This is the total GPA from all college coursework.