D’Youville College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Criscarter25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

*sigh*
Let's see, upstate NY has what, five medical schools? So sure, let's add one more!

In the mean time, I've been hearing that apps are down at DO schools and in order to fill their classes, some, even big names, have had to hold interviews IN JULY!!!

Oh well, when they can't fill their classes, it will serve them right.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh*
Let's see, upstate NY has what, five medical schools? So sure, let's add one more!

In the mean time, I've been hearing that apps are down at DO schools and in order to fill their classes, some, even big names, have had to hold interviews IN JULY!!!

Wait, could you please expand! This sounds like good news for some of us!

It is good news for Caribbean caliber pre-meds who will now get to attend a DO school in the states.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It is good news for Caribbean caliber pre-meds who will now get to attend a DO school in the states.
Yup. What really worries me is that their is a finite supply of students who can handle medical school, and as such, we are likely to see an increase in attrition rates.

Reactions: 1 users
*sigh*

Now that is fascinating. Then again, I’m sure they’re still picky on applicants, considering I have already been rejected by a few schools.

Yup. What really worries me is that their is a finite supply of students who can handle medical school, and as such, we are likely to see an increase in attrition rates.
Attrition rates and board failure rates already increasing.

These med school names are sounding weirder and weirder every year.
Then, it was some weird Incarnate Word cult sounding name.
Now you get these med schools sounding like an episode on the PBS....frickin D'You. I wanna watch some D'YouTube.
I can't even think up these crazy names even if you give me the highest dose of LSD + weed + cocaine all mixed together delivered IV with my CYP450 enzymes inhibited.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Now you get these med schools sounding like an episode on the PBS....frickin D'You. I wanna watch some D'YouTube.
I can't even think up these crazy names even if you give me the highest dose of LSD + weed + cocaine all mixed together delivered IV with my CYP450 enzymes inhibited.
Already mentioned Alice Walton School of Osteopathic Medicine (AWSOM).

• Wow
  • Love
The University of the Incarnate Word has been in San Antonio since the 1880s, so it isn’t like the school came out of nowhere.

It’s as “cult sounding” as the University of Norte Dame. They’re both Catholic schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
*sigh*

Aren't US MD schools proliferating at a similar or even higher rate? I'm hearing of sub 500 MCATs getting admitted to US MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't US MD schools proliferating at a similar or even higher rate? I'm hearing of sub 500 MCATs getting admitted to US MD schools.
Yes, they are. They may run into the same problem, although most MD schools seat far fewer than DO schools.

Also, if someone with a < 500 MCA T score gets admitted, the may very well have aced an SMP

Yes, they are. They may run into the same problem, although most MD schools seat far fewer than DO schools.

Also, if someone with a < 500 MCA T score gets admitted, the may very well have aced an SMP

I'm assuming aced is 3.7+?

I mean...you already know my story, Goro. Not sure if I was an ace, but I hope it was at least half-decent in terms of results.

Makes sense!

In your opinion, what do you consider those who are below 3.7, but above 3.5? I recall SDN thought here is that it is decent for a SMP while below is not preferable.

Also as previously stated, my favorite is still the Antonin S. Scalia School of Law at George Mason University (ASSSOL).

That is a very unfortunate name.

That's like Team America's Film Actors Guild :shifty:

• Haha
*sigh*

Good. There’s 65 DO schools if you count branch campuses and most of them have class sizes 50-100% bigger than a typical MD school.

COCA should actually pay attention and stop approving these cash grabs that make me embarrassed to have these credentials. But we all know they won’t.

Reactions: 2 users
Good. There’s 65 DO schools if you count branch campuses and most of them have class sizes 50-100% bigger than a typical MD school.

COCA should actually pay attention and stop approving these cash grabs that make me embarrassed to have these credentials. But we all know they won’t.
Wow. That is double the schools when I applied

Facts. OCOM is on track to be pre-accredited in August. Possibly another 3 DO schools opening next year.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Facts. OCOM is on track to be pre-accredited in August. Possibly another 3 DO schools opening next year.

and this.
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Substantive Change – Planned Class Size Increase and Additional Location

Eventually they're all going to crash and burn, and so I'm glad that I'll be retired by then.

So it looks like there are about 155 MD programs in the U.S. So what is the COCA's long-range strategic plan? Create as many DO programs in order to compete? Let's see how that works out when they achieve numerical parity.

So it looks like there are about 155 MD programs in the U.S. So what is the COCA's long-range strategic plan? Create as many DO programs in order to compete? Let's see how that works out when they achieve numerical parity.
Perhaps it is "we will keep growing until geographic health disparities cease." ;)

and this.

Eventually they're all going to crash and burn, and so I'm glad that I'll be retired by then.
Or AACOM gets taken over by Elon Musk. Which I guess is the same thing.

• Haha
and this.

Won't they just absorb the residency spots that are going to IMGs anyways?

Won't they just absorb the residency spots that are going to IMGs anyways?
That has been the argument for expansion the entire time. Answer? Maybe. Also many of those spots are not in desirable locations and many end up in not first choice specialties. A job is a job but also you would like to not be forced into a specialty.

Wow. That is double the schools when I applied
Yeah it’s stupid and everyone with DO after their name should be pissed because it’s hard to have any pride in a degree that’s being dragged through the mud by the very societies that are supposed to be ensuring quality.

Yeah it’s stupid and everyone with DO after their name should be pissed because it’s hard to have any pride in a degree that’s being dragged through the mud by the very societies that are supposed to be ensuring quality.
I wouldn’t go that far lol. I’m not pissed. It’s ridiculous and should be curtailed but I think all med school expansion including MD should stop as well

I wouldn’t go that far lol. I’m not pissed. It’s ridiculous and should be curtailed but I think all med school expansion including MD should stop as well
Wouldn’t just mid level creep eat into the market if not enough physicians are around?

I mean…I understand standards have to be high, but they are quite high compared to other healthcare degrees - doctorates included.

…so I’m not surprised politicians and business folk are pivoting to PAs and NPs. They are cheaper to pay and easier to churn out, which makes them able to quickly cover the gaps in American healthcare.

Granted, this is just an observation from a frustrated pre-med, not some expert who has studied this issue seriously.

Wouldn’t just mid level creep eat into the market if not enough physicians are around?

I mean…I understand standards have to be high, but they are quite high compared to other healthcare degrees - doctorates included.

…so I’m not surprised politicians and business folk are pivoting to PAs and NPs. They are cheaper to pay and easier to churn out, which makes them able to quickly cover the gaps in American healthcare.

Granted, this is just an observation from a frustrated pre-med, not some expert who has studied this issue seriously.
Again you’re falling for the political fallacy. There is not true shortage. It’s a misallocation of resources (physicians). There are enough physicians just not in the right places. Go ask the pediatricians in San Francisco willing to take a 165k/ year job. Midlevels aren’t filling those gaps either because they would also rather live in the Bay Area than the rural kentucky.

Also midlevels don’t meet a safe standard as a whole and we should not decrease our standard for fear of a substandard person trying to compete for a job.

Reactions: 5 users
Again you’re falling for the political fallacy. There is not true shortage. It’s a misallocation of resources (physicians). There are enough physicians just not in the right places. Go ask the pediatricians in San Francisco willing to take a 165k/ year job. Midlevels aren’t filling those gaps either because they would also rather live in the Bay Area than the rural kentucky.

Also midlevels don’t meet a safe standard as a whole and we should not decrease our standard for fear of a substandard person trying to compete for a job.
Kinda wonder how politicians are going to fix the situation then. That is then coupled with the rise of artificial intelligence and the falling trust in healthcare in general. Physicians will either have to adapt to changing tastes or fall to more aggressive entities in the states.

Who knows though…I just want to get in somewhere and I’m personally just plain frustrated with the system overall.

…so apologies for the rant of sorts.

Kinda wonder how politicians are going to fix the situation then. That is then coupled with the rise of artificial intelligence and the falling trust in healthcare in general. Physicians will either have to adapt to changing tastes or fall to more aggressive entities in the states.

Who knows though…I just want to get in somewhere and I’m personally just plain frustrated with the system overall.

…so apologies for the rant of sorts.
Just saying, Becoming a Student Doctor introduces the systems competency piece for prehealth students. Know that the system you work with now will not be the same in 10 years.

Just saying, Becoming a Student Doctor introduces the systems competency piece for prehealth students. Know that the system you work with now will not be the same in 10 years.
It certainly is not the same when I started 10 years ago