Is having a clinical job necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedfuturedoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I had a friend recently come up to me telling me that in order to get into medical school I need to obtain an entry-level clinical job. I just wanted to ask if this is true? Is clinical volunteering + shadowing not enough? I am blessed that I don't have the need to have a job right now and I feel like entry-level clinical jobs are generally pretty time-intensive considering being a full-time student on top of it. I just thought it would be better to focus on my grades and MCAT along with the ECs I already have going on like research, volunteering, clubs, etc. I don't know, they honestly made me all stressed out now lol. Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I had a friend recently come up to me telling me that in order to get into medical school I need to obtain an entry-level clinical job. I just wanted to ask if this is true? Is clinical volunteering + shadowing not enough? I am blessed that I don't have the need to have a job right now and I feel like entry-level clinical jobs are generally pretty time-intensive considering being a full-time student on top of it. I just thought it would be better to focus on my grades and MCAT along with the ECs I already have going on like research, volunteering, clubs, etc. I don't know, they honestly made me all stressed out now lol. Let me know what you guys think!
Check MSAR for your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get better friends, because frankly, that one is an idiot.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Have you taken statistics yet? Are you able to think critically and analytically? This is your opportunity to use those skills.

Yes, I have and I can. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Paid clinical work is not necessary but many applicants have it from working during gap years. At the moment, paid clinical employment is likely to be one of the few ways someone can gain clinical exposure during the pandemic, as volunteer work has been significantly scaled back. Remember, the purpose of clinical hours is to gain exposure to the work that physicians do, instead of talking about what people think it’s like after watching Greys Anatomy (Don’t cut the LVAD). It demonstrates you’ve done your due diligence and know this Is what you want to do prior to signing up for 7+ years of school, training, and a career of serving others.

Reactions: 2 users
Paid clinical work is not necessary but many applicants have it from working during gap years. At the moment, paid clinical employment is likely to be one of the few ways someone can gain clinical exposure during the pandemic, as volunteer work has been significantly scaled back. Remember, the purpose of clinical hours is to gain exposure to the work that physicians do, instead of talking about what people think it’s like after watching Greys Anatomy (Don’t cut the LVAD). It demonstrates you’ve done your due diligence and know this Is what you want to do prior to signing up for 7+ years of school, training, and a career of serving others.

Got it, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I find entry level clinical jobs with little to no experience or research assistant with no degree?

Scribing
nursing homes

I noticed most students apply with clinical volunteering and no clinical employment. I am in a position where I have little clinical volunteering (<70h), but lots of clinical employment (~500h). Is this OK? Or should I aim to get more clinical volunteering?

I noticed most students apply with clinical volunteering and no clinical employment. I am in a position where I have little clinical volunteering (<70h), but lots of clinical employment (~500h). Is this OK? Or should I aim to get more clinical volunteering?
Clinical is clinical.

Reactions: 1 users
Totally OK. The whole idea is to show that you know what you're getting into and that you really do want to be around sick and injured people for the next 40ish years.

Clinical employment can be better than volunteering in that employment skills are always good.

Clinical is clinical.
Totally OK. The whole idea is to show that you know what you're getting into and that you really do want to be around sick and injured people for the next 40ish years.

Clinical employment can be better than volunteering in that employment skills are always good.

Thanks, you two!

Reactions: 1 users
If it were necessary the number would be 100%

I am aware. But even though volunteering is considering pretty much essential when applying, the numbers still don't come out as 100% on MSAR. I apologize for my stupid question, but it came more so from stress and overthinking than anything.

I am aware. But even though volunteering is considering pretty much essential when applying, the numbers still don't come out as 100% on MSAR. I apologize for my stupid question, but it came more so from stress and overthinking than anything.
Yes, so it's 95%? What's your point? Whether or not you are so unique that you could be accepted without something 95% of matriculants have? How would we know? Sure, go for it!! :)

Or, are you really asking what the difference is between 40% and 95%, and between 95% and 100%? I'm not questioning your facility with statistics, I'm questioning why you are responding to someone pointing out that something less than half class has is not required by pointing out that something common wisdom states "everyone" needs is "only" possessed by over 90%?

Yes, don't take anything literally. There is an exception to every rule. Only you know whether you might be a viable candidate to be that exception. Be guided accordingly. :)

Yes, so it's 95%? What's your point? Whether or not you are so unique that you could be accepted without something 95% of matriculants have? How would we know? Sure, go for it!! :)

Or, are you really asking what the difference is between 40% and 95%, and between 95% and 100%? I'm not questioning your facility with statistics, I'm questioning why you are responding to someone pointing out that something less than half class has is not required by pointing out that something common wisdom states "everyone" needs is "only" possessed by over 90%?

Yes, don't take anything literally. There is an exception to every rule. Only you know whether you might be a viable candidate to be that exception. Be guided accordingly. :)

You make a good point. I've just had a bit of a negative mindset these days, so I was honestly thinking about the statistics negatively (hence why I felt the need to ask for clarification in the first place). Thank you for your response, and especially for explaining so nicely!

Scribing
nursing homes
I got a customer service representative remote position for a pharmaceutical company is that good enough? I want to get into research and they have that.

I got a customer service representative remote position for a pharmaceutical company is that good enough? I want to get into research and they have that.
I would not consider this a clinical job.

For patient contact? I honestly don't know.
[/QUOT
They have an office branch, but its work from home right now, and I applied for their receptionist position that's in person.

It pays like 27-32 dollars an hour which is really good
The job sounds amazing and for that pay its DEFINITELY worth it. Especially if its going to bring possible research opportunities. I just meant you may need to get some shadowing and do some volunteer work at a hospital/nursing home as a supplement because its really not patient contact hours. 2 hours a week every other week at a nursing home is 100 hours in 2 years. Idk how close you are to applying but if its still a few years away you dont have to kill yourself doing a ton of hours a week/month to rack em up.

The job sounds amazing and for that pay its DEFINITELY worth it. Especially if its going to bring possible research opportunities. I just meant you may need to get some shadowing and do some volunteer work at a hospital/nursing home as a supplement because its really not patient contact hours. 2 hours a week every other week at a nursing home is 100 hours in 2 years. Idk how close you are to applying but if its still a few years away you dont have to kill yourself doing a ton of hours a week/month to rack em up.

yeah I'm not too sure if you are familiar with Takeda pharmaceutical company it originated in Japan.