Is hem/onc procedural and ... (more inside)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.0ne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is hem/onc procedural (if so, what kinds of procedures do you docs do?) and what kinds of future technologies do you think will shape the speciality in the coming decade? I love working with my hands and want to see if there's a niche in hem/onc for doing that.

I'm a current m2 really interested in this field. Things that attract me to it

1. ability to form deep relationship with patients and have powerful conversations wiht patients (i love communication and feel that word choice, and language go a long way in this field).
2. the complex decisions that need to be made around patients' care
3. the fact that hem/onc will become more ubiquitous as humans age longer, making its care and management more optimized.
4. the chance to be a part of a field thats truly on the cutting edge of medicine as our knowledge of onc grows.

And are there options to super specialize beyond hem/onc?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is hem/onc procedural (if so, what kinds of procedures do you docs do?) and what kinds of future technologies do you think will shape the speciality in the coming decade? I love working with my hands and want to see if there's a niche in hem/onc for doing that.
There is such a niche. A bunch of them in fact.
Interventional Oncology (Rads residency --> IR fellowship --> IO fellowship)...+/- on the IO fellowship, but becoming more common
Surgical Oncology (GS + Fellowship)
Thoracic Surgery (Integrated or GS + Fellowship)
Breast Surgery (GS + Fellowship)
Colorectal Surgery (GS + Fellowship)
Neuro-Oncology (Neurosurg + Fellowship)
Head and Neck Oncology (ENT + Fellowship)

Notice something missing from the list?

Medical Oncology

Pretty much the only procedure you're going to do as an oncologist is a bone marrow biopsy. Maybe an LP if you're really ambitious. But that's it.

If you want a procedural practice, do a procedural specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Having deep long-lasting relationships with patients with real continuity of care, and a heavy procedural specialty are usually two mutually exclusive things. You have to figure out your priorities as you move forward with your career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Having deep long-lasting relationships with patients with real continuity of care, and a heavy procedural specialty are usually two mutually exclusive things. You have to figure out your priorities as you move forward with your career.

Or do GI

Two words -- functional abdominal pain.

That's 3, and every specialty has painful chief complaints. My point was that the poster mentioned a procedural specialty with long-term longitudinal care, and GI offers that. Most of those in my field find it very personally and professionally satisfying.

That's 3, and every specialty has painful chief complaints. My point was that the poster mentioned a procedural specialty with long-term longitudinal care, and GI offers that. Most of those in my field find it very personally and professionally satisfying.
Agree to disagree on counting and all other points #peaceandlove

If I work hard enough, the IR at my Medicine program will let me do CT-guided and US biopsies. If I become an oncologist, can I legally do those procedures?

If I work hard enough, the IR at my Medicine program will let me do CT-guided and US biopsies. If I become an oncologist, can I legally do those procedures?

Legally you can take out a gallbladder. Practically speaking no one will likely credential you. You wont have the volume to make this worth your effort in practice.

you can legally do any procedure that you become certified at whether it's usually within your specialty or not.

the question is why would you want to do these? If you're so passionate about doing procedures, oncology might not be a good option for you in the long run. We like to look at images, read papers, talk to people, spit out alphabet soups and pretend to be smart. we don't like needles and sterile procedures.

Reactions: 3 users