Is Academic Oncologist seeing benign hem patients?

Started by droplet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

droplet

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently switched from hospital employed to an academic job as a breast oncologist, with clinical duty 0.7. Protected research time 0.2. The rest is administrative/ teaching. Recently, the surgical breast oncologist left, and they are looking for a new one. The speed is down for breast oncology. The chief asked me to see some benign heme patients during my clinic time since the hematologists have a lot of consults. I do not like the idea, since my panel will be full soon with all of the benign heme patients. Is it a normal situation? I would rather use this period of time to start set up my clinical/ translational research. Needs some advice regarding this. Thank you in advance!
 
If you're getting paid for a 70% clinical effort, you're probably going to need to put in 70% clinical effort. Sounds like this is a temporary issue pending surgery getting their s*** together. Up to you how hard you want to rock the boat at what seems like a new position.

I wouldn't worry so much about your panel "filling up" with heme. First of all, I've never seen a hem/onc doc with a "full panel". No matter how many patients I'm taking care of, I get 3-5 new patients every day. Plus, once the breast business ramps back up you can have all those IDAs and ITPs follow up with Dr. Blood at their next visit.